89 EF hatch w/B20b/LS-YS1 trans - "VSS" ? ? ? ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89hondahatch

Another newbie here. I have a quick question for some of you all that have already been down the swap road... I have a 89 Hatch. It now is home to a B20b that is mated to a 90-93 Teg LS "YS1" trans. The trans did not come with a vehicle speed sensor. The original cable one coming thru the firewall was/is a cable type (for the old D series trans). I can put the D series trans VSS into the LS hole, but it will not seat correctly. What VSS do I need to get that will fit the transmission and allow me to use the original D series cable that attaches to my speedo ? I appreciate any input you can offer. :worthy:

You need the integra VSS, in which i have one sitting out in my garage if you are interested. From a 1990 integra.

Then the cable plugs right into the top of the vss.

A friend gave me a VSS out of a 91 Teg RS that had an automatic trans.
It has the 2 lines for the power steering fluid to circulate thru. I cut the
hoses off and rubber capped both of the fittings and popped it into my
YS1 LS trans. It works great ! On to the next swap problem (bug)....

you should have looped the two lines. eventually you will be replacing the VSS becuase its going to wear out.

I'm gonna take a stab at this...the power steering fluid that circulated thru the VSS somehow
kept it lubed or cooled ? Now that I have them disconnected and capped, it will eventually
wear itself out ? Because it has some extra gearing for the P/S fluid? Please post your reply,
as I will learn something new. Thanks for the help.

yes. to my understanding thats why the powersteering fluid is routed to it to lubricate it since it does in fact have a gear(a) inside of it.

Back