89 Hatch: What's the best swap for the buck?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DeanJoyce.com

Ok, i just grabbed an 89 hatch. its bone stock (auto), and im either going to just stick it on ebay for cheap and make a few bucks or do a motor swap and clean it up a bit and sell it and make a few bucks more. thing is i have money tied up in a few other projects right now and figured id ask some opinions on what to do. what motor swap would be worth my while and how about how much might it cost me, and how much would it possibly sell for with that swap? thanks!

by the sounds of it u dont have an Si civic, so with ANY swap u do u will need to do DPI-MPFI change over.shipped from japan.

(JDM)ZC(obd0)= 130 Hp 108 trq use Si 5 speed tranny, not fast, not slow, good starter engine uses stock mounts,
Price=$800 or so

(JDM)B16a(obd0)= 160 hp 111trq need b series into ef mounts, vtec for good top end, lacks low end. good base engine. lots of parts made for it, tranny is short great for N/A. Must get it shipped from japan.
Price= $2500 or so

(USDM)B18a(obd0)= 132 hp 127 trq need b series mounts again. non-vtec 1.8L, good low end power but lacks power after mid 3rd gear, tranny is LONG with low comp pistons, great for Boost.
Price= $1500-$2500 i've seen them go for a range of prices, i got mine for $1600 canadian. but i also see 1 for sale right now for $2800 canadian, depends how hard u look

(USDM)b18c1(obd1-2)= best engine for buck from GSR, 180hp 121 trq. Vtec 1.8L, makes good power down low, and has Vtec for high power, most stock EF's with it run low 14's to high 13's( average). need a B16a or LS tranny to use it b/c it has a hydro tranny. b16a tranny if u keep it N/A, LS tranny if u boost it.
Price= $3000-$4000 depends on how hard u look.

(USDM)b18c5(obd2) AKA type-R motor.= great N/A motor, DONT GO TURBO on it its a waist of the engine. 195hp-121 trq, great engine, very fast, but u pay for it. also need b16a tranny to use it. LS tranny is worthless on it.
Price=$5500 or so

thats a quick over view, u pick what motor suits U and what U want to do with the car, autoX or drag, or just to cruise. we cant tell u what kinda motor u need unless u tell us what u wanna do with it.

Boost= B18a
autoX= B18c5
Bang 4 Buck= b16a
most affordable power= b18c1
Fun...=ZC

also, my prices might not b too accurate b/c im trying to change from canadian $$$ into american so they might be off a bit.

best bang for the buck swap you can do into your hatch is an (LS) b18a1 swap...as far as the auto to manual swap goes, do it yourself, mine cost me $35 total when i swapped my b16 in. $10 for the clutch cable, $25 for the pedal assembly, i got my pedals out of a crx but any 88-91 crx/civic pedals will work, and so would the 90-93 integra pedals. do not make the same mistake i did, the first pdeal assembly i got was out of an SiR front clip, i figured it would work but since it's a RHD assembly, the brake hits the streering column.

Sleeper CRX- your prices are of but i'm guessing that it is because your trying to change from canadian money to US dollars, but a lot of your torque and HP figures are off...someone will piece out your post, i am too lazy to do it...where's B and 92b16VX at when you need them, not to mention E SolSi as well :p

yeah im my opinion i would go with the B16A..i have one in my 91 Civ Si..and i love it..but like the other guy said in previous post..B16A has good pull on top end with Vtec..but low end takes awhile to get goin..but dont get me wrong..it moves the car just fine..

Back