8lb flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95silverprelude

im doing the trans in my car again and im going to put a lighter flywheel in it just wondering if an 8lb is too light. My friend has one in his mazda and it seems like a bitch to drive. please give me some input

that light will most likely make your lude a bitch to drive . and its a real bad idea if your boosted . they can cause a loss of power on hills , na or boosted , fun for a track car but not fun in traffic at all

Lighter flywheels do NOT cause a loss in power ANYWHERE. They're torque storage units, that's all.

If you can deal with learning how to drive and manage a lighter flywheel, get the 8 pounder. I ran a 7.5lb on my Civic and I absolutely LOVED it.

7.5 on my integra works great. I'm glad you cleared up that it does cause loss of power! I haven't noticed any driving problems either. works great!

I said does NOT.

I think he may have just gotten a bit too excited, Mike. :D

I'm still wondering if a lighter flywheel would be a good call for my build...but that, as you already know, is quite a while away still.

I had a 8lb flywheel in my 90 Accord(F22A1) and still one in my 88 Civic(JDM D15B VTEC). With the Prelude, I don't think this will be a problem. The Honda 2.2l's have plenty of torque, thus making driving with lighter flywheels not too difficult.

My Civic is much harder to drive than my old Accord; even though they both have/had 8lb flywheels. Only problem with the 8lb in the Accord is if you weren't used to it; shifts would bog/shake the car. I've taught two novice drivers how to drive manual with my Accord and they both did very well.

I think he may have just gotten a bit too excited, Mike. :D

I'm still wondering if a lighter flywheel would be a good call for my build...but that, as you already know, is quite a while away still.

I've just seen WAY too many people on the forums say "does" when they mean "does not." It's really annoying.

I think it's a good idea.

What type of racing do you do?

Most of the D-series guys prefer 12-15lb flywheels for drag racing/slicks. Anything lighter and the motor bogs. I'd say this may be a good choice for B-series guys too...

For road course/autoX, light is good(6-9lbs).

im doing the trans in my car again and im going to put a lighter flywheel in it just wondering if an 8lb is too light. My friend has one in his mazda and it seems like a bitch to drive. please give me some input

no pain no gain. Almost any one who installs a clutch and/or fly wheel will have a hard time driving at first but then you get used to it. Plain and simple.

I have the the 8 lb flywheel as well. i know theres no gain nor loss in the power. but it helps the engines reaction. I have a way quicker rev up then i did with stock.

street driving. 12 pound is good, but 8 pound seem to light, depend on on the engine.

i always liked the 7.5lb flywheel i used to have in a b16a back in the day. that sucker revved like crazy, it was a blast to drive on the twisties, but was very touchy in traffic.

maybe a lil late on this one. not sure ur stock flywheel weight. i had a 97 eclipse turbo. got a ~25%-30% lighter flywheel. it was cool when i could chirp the tires at the top of 1st gear. rev-matching on turns was also easier/quicker. but cruising sucked. had to shift at higher rpms or blip the throttle a little between shifts. but if u do it some say to avoid certain materials. some places will sell you a 'shaved' stock one and give you $ for core deposit.

sorry Calesta.
I was agreeing with you but now I sound stupid....
It DOES NOT cause loss of power... just to clear that up.
Lighter is always better. who cares if it's a little harder to drive. lighter revs faster and saves gas! all thngs i like!
It Allows you to get more torque to the ground(wheels) instead of tieing that power up into just spinning a heavier mass in a circle...
The engine does all the work, the torque converter "momentum" only helps on the initial take off.(if you;re racing you're engine should have some power to pull you through anyway, "it does all the work)" otherwise the extra weight of a heavier flywheel is only bogging you down while trying to accerlerate. I think most of you guys understand the physics behind this but just in case i can help shed any light on this.
let me know if you think my reasoning flawed.

Last edited:
No problem.

As far as tying up power- you're not really doing that, at least not all the time. You're just delaying it. The flywheel is basically a torque battery- but you have to charge it up before you can push power or torque past it.

Back