1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8lb flywheel

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by 95silverprelude, Jul 15, 2008.

1. 95silverprelude

95silverprelude New Member

im doing the trans in my car again and im going to put a lighter flywheel in it just wondering if an 8lb is too light. My friend has one in his mazda and it seems like a bitch to drive. please give me some input

2. Bkkfarang

Bkkfarang New Member

that light will most likely make your lude a bitch to drive . and its a real bad idea if your boosted . they can cause a loss of power on hills , na or boosted , fun for a track car but not fun in traffic at all

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Lighter flywheels do NOT cause a loss in power ANYWHERE. They're torque storage units, that's all.

If you can deal with learning how to drive and manage a lighter flywheel, get the 8 pounder. I ran a 7.5lb on my Civic and I absolutely LOVED it.

1 person likes this.
  4. beano135

beano135 New Member

7.5 on my integra works great. I'm glad you cleared up that it does cause loss of power! I haven't noticed any driving problems either. works great!

5. t3t4delsol

t3t4delsol New Member

7.5 really improved the y8

6. phunky.buddha

I said does NOT.

7. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

I think he may have just gotten a bit too excited, Mike. :D

I'm still wondering if a lighter flywheel would be a good call for my build...but that, as you already know, is quite a while away still.

8. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I had a 8lb flywheel in my 90 Accord(F22A1) and still one in my 88 Civic(JDM D15B VTEC). With the Prelude, I don't think this will be a problem. The Honda 2.2l's have plenty of torque, thus making driving with lighter flywheels not too difficult.

My Civic is much harder to drive than my old Accord; even though they both have/had 8lb flywheels. Only problem with the 8lb in the Accord is if you weren't used to it; shifts would bog/shake the car. I've taught two novice drivers how to drive manual with my Accord and they both did very well.

9. phunky.buddha

I've just seen WAY too many people on the forums say "does" when they mean "does not." It's really annoying.

I think it's a good idea.

10. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

What type of racing do you do?

Most of the D-series guys prefer 12-15lb flywheels for drag racing/slicks. Anything lighter and the motor bogs. I'd say this may be a good choice for B-series guys too...

For road course/autoX, light is good(6-9lbs).

11. HelixB18C1

HelixB18C1 Member

no pain no gain. Almost any one who installs a clutch and/or fly wheel will have a hard time driving at first but then you get used to it. Plain and simple.

12. 94H_Ex

94H_Ex Under employed

I have the the 8 lb flywheel as well. i know theres no gain nor loss in the power. but it helps the engines reaction. I have a way quicker rev up then i did with stock.

13. drg007

drg007 New Member

street driving. 12 pound is good, but 8 pound seem to light, depend on on the engine.

14. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

A lot of the dragsters got better 0-60's with 12lb flywheels ;)

15. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

i always liked the 7.5lb flywheel i used to have in a b16a back in the day. that sucker revved like crazy, it was a blast to drive on the twisties, but was very touchy in traffic.

16. cressidakiller

cressidakiller New Member

maybe a lil late on this one. not sure ur stock flywheel weight. i had a 97 eclipse turbo. got a ~25%-30% lighter flywheel. it was cool when i could chirp the tires at the top of 1st gear. rev-matching on turns was also easier/quicker. but cruising sucked. had to shift at higher rpms or blip the throttle a little between shifts. but if u do it some say to avoid certain materials. some places will sell you a 'shaved' stock one and give you $ for core deposit.

17. beano135

beano135 New Member

sorry Calesta.
    I was agreeing with you but now I sound stupid....
    It DOES NOT cause loss of power... just to clear that up.
    Lighter is always better. who cares if it's a little harder to drive. lighter revs faster and saves gas! all thngs i like!
    It Allows you to get more torque to the ground(wheels) instead of tieing that power up into just spinning a heavier mass in a circle...
    The engine does all the work, the torque converter "momentum" only helps on the initial take off.(if you;re racing you're engine should have some power to pull you through anyway, "it does all the work)" otherwise the extra weight of a heavier flywheel is only bogging you down while trying to accerlerate. I think most of you guys understand the physics behind this but just in case i can help shed any light on this.
    let me know if you think my reasoning flawed.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  18. phunky.buddha

No problem.

As far as tying up power- you're not really doing that, at least not all the time. You're just delaying it. The flywheel is basically a torque battery- but you have to charge it up before you can push power or torque past it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted