90 4dr suspension upgrades..?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Good evening, I've been messing with the older Hondas for a looongg time but with job, marriage, kids, more jobs, I've gotten out of the 'loop' of info.
I've done the 'search' but don't come up with much. Maybe I'm using the wrong verbage? TONS of engine swap stuff though.
Another thing is that there will be a LS swap maybe next year. Have to build it up for a good reliable 170-200 max hp.
I've got tons of suspension parts laying around but just need to know:
1- Easy brake upgrade for front and rear. Would like stock pieces. I probably have them. (what models/years fit to what..) I think I have gsr fr calipers/rotors somewhere and even several pairs of Prelude si ones too.
Rear?? SI, Teg, Prelude DISCS? Would prefer a BOLT-ON if at all possible.
2- Can lude/teg/accord springs be shortened and installed on the dx strut? OR will another strut assy swap in
(not looking for a coil over setup. Got those on my 92 accord and don't really like them)
Remember it's a 4dr and carry the youngins around too. (Maybe 150lbs total)
I don't want it to be like a buckboard, just a nice thick/firm ride.

Thank you for any GOOD info.

P.S. While your reading this, Is there a better front bumper that is a bolt on also?

E

I'm pretty sure teg suspension and brakes work. anything is possible with our Honda's you would be amazed what kinda different stuff will work.

OK, like what? What years?
Just hubs/rotors/calipers??
OR do I have to swap the whole trailing arm for the rear?
Is it a simple front teg caliper/rotor swap for the front, or are hubs needed to?
From what I've seen on U-tube, it looked as if the person swapped the whole rear trailing arm/hub/caliper assy w/brake cables..

E

I wouldn't recommend hacking down some factory springs off of a different car to use as lowering springs. that messes with the spring rates, and most likely the car will end up handling like crap. If you're going to do this, do it right. Invest in a decent set of drop springs (Eibach, H&R, etc.). It's up to you, but I'd throw some new shocks on it too...

I've been doing it for decades without too much of a problem at all!!
Did it with my 72 Monte, 78 accord, 77 wagon, 3-78 1200's, 79cvcc civic, 81 accord 4dr, 3-87 tegs (rear), 3-85-87 crx's rear, 2-civic si (rear) Brothers 76 wagon/accord swap.. Only the 78 accord gave me problems mostly because a goofball alignment kid didn't know what he was supposed to do.
Then again, I don't try and lower 3-4" from a 10" spring.

The struts are fine for now. I'll change them when I do the LS swap at a later date.

But Can YOU answer the questions that haven't been answered yet?.. Is there a "sticky" on this somewhere? I couldn't find it.
What parts can I swap from what HONDA cars to get:
Bigger brakes f/r? (I just tried the teg rotors/calipers and NO-GO)
Mounting tabs too far away, makes inner pad area too close to rotor.
Does the teg knuckle/upright have to be used?
Will it cause bad bump steer?
Can one use the teg DA rear trailing arm and hub assy on the 4dr. civic rear? Does it have to be from a 4dr teg??????

I'm hoping with all this information on here (Honda "swap") that it's NOT ALL associated with engine and electrical swapping and flaming people that just don't know how certain mechanical/electrical systems work.
I don't have the time available to be sitting at my computer "surfing" Honda sites that one has to register JUST to ask a question.

E

well this link should help Ben's EF Resource i went with eibach springs and dropzone struts and i love them they handle awesome on my 89 sedani know that either crxsi or civic si 88-91 rear disc swap right over but i am almost positive that you need the ebrake cables from a 4dr integra cuz the stock ones wont work and ones from a da 2dr wont work cuz the cables are too longi have learned alot about the sedan if you have any questions hit me up oh and an lx bumper looks great and they are a direct bolt over except you do need the lx bumper with the mettal bumper that is for an lx alsogood luckwhy do an ls when you could do a vtec swap?????????????/

Back