90 Accord H22A Swap H23 Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MugenCRX

Hey everyone, my friend is swapping a H22a into a 90 accord ex, and he is using an h23 tranny, our question is, do you have to modify the h23 tranny mount, because his motor is sitting slanted and his front motor mount wont line up. The H23 tranny mount is brand new from honda, so its a good mount, just need to know if it needs to be modified, and if so, how do we modify it.

Also, the H23 mount is the exact same as the H22 mount, so it makes no difference on that note.

Thanks Budddddddddddyss!! :ph34r:

Hmmm.. Anybody? All we need to know is if anyone with a 4th gen accord has had to modify their h22/h23 transmission mount so the engine sits in the bay correctly, and if sooooooo.........how.

PLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE.

Thanks.

are you using the accord or the prelude mounts?

was the car auto?
are you sure you have all manual tans mounts?
i think you may need the prelude front mount for it to line up correctly...

You use ALL the accord mounts and brackets.

If the car was auto you have to modify the rear mount. Also, if the h23 tranny is a 97+ you have relocate the mount holes.

All mounts are accord mounts, EXCEPT the tranny mount. The tranny mount is an H23 tranny mount and the car is a 5-speed, and so is the new tranny.

Just very confused..... :hmm:

Thanks for the help so far... :worthy:

So, you connected the crank side(front), intake side, and exhaust wishbone thrust mount already? Those are all perfectly in place and the last won't fit?

I was under the assumption that automatics did not need new mounts. This has been my experience.

From what I have read, H22 5 spds have needed the tranny mount shaved, or frankensteined. On a JDM tranny, one buddy did have to relocate his mounting holes on the transmission. He drilled and tapped the transmission housing in the new location.

How far off is it? Can you take a picture? :blink:

Sometimes it's tricky to line up the mounts too. On my 92, there was a little more clearance at the cowl than my buddy's 94. It took me <15 minutes to drop in the H22 and tranny. On the 94 Accord, due to AC lines, a cherry picker(not a hoist), and cowl clearance; It took me over 2 hours easily for the same procedure.

For ease, I install the mounts, but leave them very loose. I remove the undercarriage support. I drop the engine down further than it needs to go, attach the crank side mount. Then I bring the engine up and attach the transmission mount. I tighten and manipulate those two mounts in conjunction with using the hoist to twist the engine. Doing that, I attach the intake side mount. Tighten down all of the mounts, then attach the dogbone mount.

Also, the 94 was such a bitch, that I removed the mounting bar setup from the engine, and reinstalled it once I had the first two mounts in. It was that bad. That was a stock F22 and trans.

In a 1990 Accord, I'm guessing that you might have to shave the mount slightly and relocate it on the transmission itself.

It has been my experience that if you're putting the same type of transmission then there should be no problems.. (this after having done 7 h22 4th gen swaps).

WHen you convert from auto to manual you have to modify the rear mount on the car's rear crossmember (if you had the vaccum controlled rear mount)

The only time I've ever heard of the need to shave the rear is when you try to get an SH in the car (h22a4).

TAB is right though.. you should have the engine supported and just loosely line up the mounts.

I usually put the side mounts on first, then the rear and the front last.

Pictures or a very detailed description would help. I think you may have just misaligned your mounts...

if you look across the engine bay (fender to fender) is the engine straight?

First off, Thanks for the responses thus far, you've got me thinking.

Ok, second, I will definetly try to take some pictures today and get them bithches up on here.

Third, I will try to describe the problem to the best of my ability.

Ok here we go... When we dropped my buddys H22a with an H23 5-speed tranny into his 90 accord ex 5-speed(no automatic to manual converting) we were under the impression that we were to use ALL accord mounts. But his tranny mount was broken and it didn't line up with the holes on the tranny. So we figured we could use the H23 tranny mount. Well, we put that mount on and dropped the motor. We bolted in the driverside first, then the tranny and then the back. The front mount was sticking up about 2 inches taller than the bracket on the motor, it looks like this.
0 <----mount
[] <----bracket
should look like this --->[0]

That's my best picture of the problem. Any way, the motor is sitting in the bay, slanted as fuck to the passenger side. If your looking from the front of the car it slants this way / but not that bad. To me it seems like the H23 mount is too tall off the tranny, thus pushing the tranny towards the ground when its bolted in there fore, not letting the front mount bolt up.

I need pictures.
Thanks for the info.

Ok, so I think the problem is that you need an Accord mount. The mounting locations are the same on the engine and tranny, but the mounts differ.

Did you put the Accord tranny mount side by side with the H23 mount?

Like I mentioned, your mount MIGHT need to be Frankensteined or shaved. That is just what I've heard. However, this implies that you are using an Accord mount in an Accord.

The H23 mount must have a taller profile. Try an Accord mount. :)

Ya, we might have to. Only problem with that is that my friend spent $180 for an OEM Honda mount, because his accord mount was broke to shit. We'll see what happens, and like I said, I will try to get some pictures.

Thanks Guys. :worthy: :worthy:

The accord rear MOUNT (the rubber thingy) will not line up to the H23 BRACKET (the metal 'L' shaped thing that bolts to the tranny).

Use the accord MOUNT AND BRACKET and you should have no problems whatsoever. :D

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Apr 23 2004, 10:08 PM
The accord rear MOUNT (the rubber thingy) will not line up to the H23 BRACKET (the metal 'L' shaped thing that bolts to the tranny).

Use the accord MOUNT AND BRACKET and you should have no problems whatsoever. :D

:werd:

Exactly.

:withstupid: Thats what we ended up doing, and it worked fine. His car is running/driving. He will post his swap soon.

Thanks for all the help buddys. :worthy: :thumbsup:

Back