90 Accord power problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thats cool. doesn't seem too hard to do. bmw 318i is a pain in the ass. trust me, not something i'd like to relive.

Thats cool. doesn't seem too hard to do. bmw 318i is a pain in the ass. trust me, not something i'd like to relive.
My dads friends 2002 M3 is starting to have small electrical problems. Its starting to become unreliable at 80,000 miles. I love rubbing in his face that my 18 year old $3000 Honda is more reliable that his 6 year old $60,000 "Beamer".:)

yeah, i had a 91 318i. kick ass little car, i miss it, but i don't miss the part bills. spent more fixing it than i paid.

We got it back from the rebuild shop. Cost my dad $170 but its worth it. They cleaned it up and painted the pulley and it looks brand new, very professional work. It will last more than the life of the car. I think they said it was the regulator that was failing, but I cant remember, anyway its fixed.

The damn thing lasted for a month, and then the same problem.

Again we took it out and got it under warrany at the shop. They said some diode burnt out. We got it back the next day, put it in, then it lasted for an hour.

When the RPM's are up the light stays out, its only when you're at a stop light and your brake lights are on and the RPM drops.

We could have bought a new alternator for less than what my dad paid to get this one rebuilt.

Since its still reliable, my dad is giving up.

Yeah man, replacing that alternator is easy enough I would happily bring it back burned out over and over until they finally agree to get a used/new one. Don't just bend over and take it from people who gave you bad advice to rebuild it in the first place, especially for that much. Any shop should have a reduced price rate with shops and yards, for that money I would just buy a refurb from parts store X with at least a 1 yr warranty. But I've been down that alternator rebuild road, and they are never the same if you (or someone else) tries to DIY. It's all bullshit, just pay the big money.

Back