90 Civic ED3 Swap...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

street_wars

Hi, everyone. First time poster, long time lurker.

I just managed to pick up a 90 Civic 4dr (ED3?) with a manual trans. I've had people throw their grandma's old automatic at me before and have held tight waiting for one with a stick already in it.

Anyway, long story short, I got the car for next to nothing and it's in good shape all around. Although I have been grossly discouraged from doing so by my friends and coworkers, I do want to do a swap on this girl.

While I appreciate the polite dissent, please don't junk post me saying that it's a bad idea.

So my question is, what should I do or would you do for a motor swap and other mods on this? Anyone with past experiences doing swaps on this model, I'd love to hear what you have to say as far as what motor to go with, where to source it from, and what difficulties to expect.

And I do expect difficulties. This is a car I could take a sledgehammer to and be none the worse off for losing it (I have other transportation). For me, it's the perfect toy to play with.

Any intelligent input is appreciated! Thanks for having me.

What are your goals and how much are you looking to spend?

There are quick ones with just boosted D-series engines and there are some with B's and H-series.

Ideally, I don't want to spend too much money, but have working to my advantage the fact that I am "in the industry" and can gte most things (other than a motor) for extremely cheap. Outside of that, I do not have a set budget with a dollar amount.

My goal is just to do a basic swap and get some power gains over the stock engine. A B16 would be great for me, as they are readily available around here... but what kind specifically?

Back