90 Hatch Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

razma369600

Hi guys I just bought a 90 hb for 150 with title frame is good needs new motor.
Ok I have a D16a6 block ( 90 civic si) can I buy a z6 head and make a mini me also should I get a d16z6 tranmission?(hydro) or go with 90 si trans which is cable?
Cause I have heard the z6's tranny is geared diff for the vtec is this true?

You will have to use the si tranny. Other than the civic bering setup for cable (unless you put the time and money into a hydro conversion), the mounts won't line up and I dont know if the axles would work. Just save the troubles and use the si tranny. Its a good tranny.

Yes you can make a Mini me of the d16z6 head, just keep you si transmission it will bolt on, and yes the vtec si geared differently but do you want go through the hassle of converting your car into hydro? But when you do the head swap you will need to wire up vtec and a cam gear for timing. To me there is not much of a difference on the both trannys.(si to the d16z6 vtec) Oh and a computer for Vtec. You will need a P28. Oh and a conversion harness to run the obd1 computer. Do a search on mini me swaps there will be alot more information.

He doesn't need the p28 but it would be the better way to go to get the proper fuel maps. He could just wire use an obd0 ecu such as the crx si one and use some sort of vtec activation wheater it be an rpm activated switch, vtec controller, or the ghetto toggle switch.

Jeef Posted on Jul 2 2004, 10:31 PM
He doesn't need the p28 but it would be the better way to go to get the proper fuel maps. He could just wire use an obd0 ecu such as the crx si one and use some sort of vtec activation wheater it be an rpm activated switch, vtec controller, or the ghetto toggle switch.

Well that too

thanks for the info i am going to use my si tranny but one more questioni have a 92 civic parts car with good coil overs and shocks on it will they fit on the 90 hatch?

"conversion harness to run the obd1 computer"

I am getting the d16z6 wiring harness for free with the head,and I have the car stripped down to nothing.Cant i just use the d16z6 harness or do i have to use the d15 harness?

It would be about 20 times easier just to use the d15 harness and spend an hour or two to do the conversion.

Back