1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 Hatch Swap

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by razma369600, Jul 2, 2004.

1. razma369600

razma369600 Junior Member

Hi guys I just bought a 90 hb for 150 with title frame is good needs new motor.
    Ok I have a D16a6 block ( 90 civic si) can I buy a z6 head and make a mini me also should I get a d16z6 tranmission?(hydro) or go with 90 si trans which is cable?
    Cause I have heard the z6's tranny is geared diff for the vtec is this true?

2. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

You will have to use the si tranny. Other than the civic bering setup for cable (unless you put the time and money into a hydro conversion), the mounts won't line up and I dont know if the axles would work. Just save the troubles and use the si tranny. Its a good tranny.

3. hondamidnighter

hondamidnighter Senior Member

Yes you can make a Mini me of the d16z6 head, just keep you si transmission it will bolt on, and yes the vtec si geared differently but do you want go through the hassle of converting your car into hydro? But when you do the head swap you will need to wire up vtec and a cam gear for timing. To me there is not much of a difference on the both trannys.(si to the d16z6 vtec) Oh and a computer for Vtec. You will need a P28. Oh and a conversion harness to run the obd1 computer. Do a search on mini me swaps there will be alot more information.

4. Jeef

He doesn't need the p28 but it would be the better way to go to get the proper fuel maps. He could just wire use an obd0 ecu such as the crx si one and use some sort of vtec activation wheater it be an rpm activated switch, vtec controller, or the ghetto toggle switch.

5. hondamidnighter

hondamidnighter Senior Member

Well that too

6. razma369600

thanks for the info i am going to use my si tranny but one more questioni have a 92 civic parts car with good coil overs and shocks on it will they fit on the 90 hatch?

7. razma369600

"conversion harness to run the obd1 computer"

I am getting the d16z6 wiring harness for free with the head,and I have the car stripped down to nothing.Cant i just use the d16z6 harness or do i have to use the d15 harness?

8. Jeef

It would be about 20 times easier just to use the d15 harness and spend an hour or two to do the conversion.

9. razma369600

so how do i mod the d15 harness??

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted