91' civic si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xtremehawn

when i turn my ignition switch on my engine check light doesn't come on, the only light that comes on is the handbrake and oil light... my is not starting up and my ecu doesn't blink either if you know or might think you know could give me any suggestions and let me know...

Check all your fuses, under the dash and in the engine bay on the shock tower, there is a fuse for the ECU in the shock tower block. If that fuse is blown you wont have any power to the ECU, thus not giving you the short blip when you turn the key to the "on" postion.

Bad ECU would still crank.

If the starter is getting signal, probably just a bad/dead battery or bad connections(ground/power).

If it's not getting signal, most likely the ignition switch/cylinder.

i checked all the fuses... how would i check if my ecu is bad or not... and the motor turns over but i have a push button start that has direct power to the starter... could it be my ignition switch cylinder, thats the whole reason why i made a push button start because it was'nt working...

Last edited:
well i doubt it will spark because the engine check light doesn't come when i turn the ignition switch on... but i'll check

main relay or (alt) fuse under dash. Test your fuses with a test light or multi meter. If your main relay is bad your fuel system will not operate and you will not get spark.
Proper ignition system evaluation begins by answering three basic diagnostic questions:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (not START), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? If not, the problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse, in the under-dash fuse/relay box; ECM .

2. When the CEL goes out, (in your case it never comes on) do you hear and/or feel the Main Relay "click"? If not, repair or replace the Main Relay.

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run? If not, check the fuel pump.

If the CEL does not go out, most Civics will not spark and the fuel pump will not run. That's why we begin our diagnosis here. Remember, the Main Relay actually contains two individual relays. One relay is energized whenever the ignition is on, which supplies battery voltage to the ECM, power to the fuel injectors, and power for the second relay. The second relay is energized for 2 seconds when the ignition is switched on, and when the engine is running which supplies power to the fuel pump.

Next, test all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter. Using a test light or multi-meter is faster, more accurate, and eliminates the possibility of replacing a fuse in the wrong

i also forgot to add that after i turn my ignition switch on and turn it back off and pull out the key my corner light stays on...

good luck with that sounds like you have some serious wiring issues.or maybe you switch is going out

ya.
take the ecu out. throw it on the ground, put it back in, if it works its good, if it doesnt its been a bad ecu. and doesnt deserve to live. therefore u take it to a bridge thats over water, wish for a better ecu and throw it backwards over ur shoulder. then, u go online, and buy a new one.

works everytime

Check the bulb behind your speedo cluster. Its possible to burn out. Did it ever illuminate?? It may be missing all together.

Back