91 civic swap problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smokeman450

Hey all my son bought a 91 Civic hatchback si with a B18b1 motor swap. we are having timing problems to start. we had to put a new ditributor on it and found out that it has a 1991 distributor due to the round conectors that the honda has. The 94 distibutor on the B18b1 which the motor is has square ones. will the 91 ditributor work properly on this engine? Next we installed the new distributor and the motor has poor pick up with it all the way advanced. The timing marks on the pullies look like the belt may be off on tooth would this cause this issue? Next how do i tell if this car has the proper ecu unit in it or will the honda civic one work.
Thanks Kevin:confused:

Lots of good questions. Here are some of my shortcuts:

The B18 using a "91 distributor" (Should I assume a SOHC Distributor that came with the car?) would need the distributor to be rotated further than the slots on the B18 head allows. there are kits and the like to do this.

You may be seeing where it's not advanced enough to run real well. But don't go grinding your engine yet !

The ECU in the 91 chassis is pre OBD, and sits on the floor. Any of the OBD ecus that will talk to the B18 won't be that kind of form factor. They are normally zip-tied to the firewall. By the sounds of that connector, you're still pre OBD.

Hondas are great because if you simply remain with the ENGINES ECU, and not the BODY'S ECU, the engine will run fine. Not that you can't modify the engine / plugs / ecu to run, but is it worth it (Or does it fit into your technical abilities?)

Also with a swap, especially one that's been done by someone else, it's not possible to confidently identify the part's year or vintage by the usual connector / markings. I've built hybrid distributors out of many distributors (with OBD pickups, SOHC housings and DOHC rotor shafts, for instance) so looking around in my garage will make you feel really impotent. So many things are interchanged or interchangeable that it's silly.

The best thing to do here is keep the hardware together. Use the new distributor for the year of engine, and modify the connector to line up the wires (Simple, constant power, triggered power (Pulsed power) and Tach wire). The ECU will know what to do with the spark (Because it's still a 4cylinder) , Also remember that in this setup the Tach will see a problem at the same time the ECU does. the Tach works, the ECU should work.

Thanks the distributor i bought was a 91 integra distributor and the motor is a 94 b18b1 . the only differences in the two distributors looks to be the shape of the connectors only. there are the same amount of wries on each 2 and 7. Is the 91 b18a1 a soch motor thus that distibutor may not work on the b18b1

Back