91 CRX HF; B18 or B16, that is the question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twinky_beavis

Helped a friend do a swap that an excelent shop said was possible but stupid due to all the issues invoved, so I don't want to be put through that hell again. That is why I would like to know which swap I should do, B16 (which is basically easy, and I know what is invoved) or should I do a B18 swap? Just so you know, I plan on starting with a B16 intake on the B18 and Then go with JacksonSupercharger either way I go. How hard wll it be to get that B18 in a nd working? I see alot of postings for Si's but I am all about finding info for the HF. Any thing would be great.
Thanks,
Beavis

Dude, don't double post.

I think the B16 will be just fine for a peppy daily driver. A boosted B18 would be a blast, though! It's up to you and your needs, really. The B16 would be much cheaper, too.

Double post was deleted by me...

Anyway, it depends on what b18 you're talking about.

The B18a from a 90-91 integra is a drop in affair with a mount kit. no rewiring required. Super easy swap. This is a GREAT motor to boost with a turbo.

B18b from a 92-01 Integra is a little rewiring to make work, but again, is a great turbo motor.

B18c1 from an Integra GSR 94-01 is a bit of work. There are several things that need to be rewires to make this work. Ask if you want more detail on this swap.

B18c5 from an Integra Type R is a little easier than the B18c1, but you still have a lot of rewiring to look forward to since all of these motors were obd2.

In my opinion, the Jackson Racing Supercharger on a Honda is a waste. It's a vain attempt to force a non torquey engine to make torque, which it doesn't do very well, and over all power gains are minimal at best.

Best bet if you want forced induction is Nitrous or Turbo, hands down.

i will agree too. the first gen b16a1 is great in the little civic and crx chassis. i have a couple of freinds with those swaps. they definitely dont complain. typically you can get a swap for around 1400. but the b16 tranny ownz the b18a tranny. that right there makes it worth it. B)

Thanks for all the help guys. The info on the different B18's I found quit informative. I will probably go with the B16 unless I can find a cheap B18. I am still looking and deciding on what to do. Thanks again Beavis

Ps I am new at working on hondas. Spent most of my time working on V8's back east. Want to do something new

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Dec 5 2003, 03:44 AM
B18b from a 92-01 Integra is a little rewiring to make work, but again, is a great turbo motor.

B18B's came out of the 94-01 Integra. 92-93 are the only OBD-1 B18A1's they didnt make A1's in 94+ nor did they make B1's before 94. :p

Also the B18B will drop in without any wiring issues if you cheat and use a non obd (or OBD-0) engine wire harness.

Back