1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

91 DX Wagon Swap

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by pasouza, Sep 1, 2008.

1. pasouza

pasouza New Member

Blew piston rod on cylinder 3 a number of years back and getting around to doing an engine swap. Found a 91 CRX that had its original engine swapped some years back (engine has 145K miles on it) to a ZC DOHC. What might be the major issues I need to look for? I figure it will drop right in, tranny and all. Does the ECU need to be swapped? I plan to pull the wiring harness out of the CRX and use that. Any ideas what I do for the differences in AC mount? Both AC units are good and I recall the DX has having been in decent running order some years ago. Of course it could have gone south by now having not been used in 5 years. The crx AC was replaced about 2 years ago (before accident) and I believe it still works. To get it into DX though it has to be discharged. Any ideas on how much folks charge to vacuum and recharge a system?

Thanks much for any assistance.

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Everything should swap over with zero problems.

Not sure about the A/C costs, but definitely use the compressor out of the CRX.

3. pasouza

pasouza New Member

I picked up the crx today and found out that 4th and 5th gear are gone on the transmission. Since it goes in 1,2,3, and R I am assuming a gear problem internally. My other assumption is that the tranny I took out of the DX that went with the D15B2 should bolt up and work fine. Is this a fair assumption or are their some issues including driveshafts?

4. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Im a bit confused here, are you trying to put the DOHC ZC in the Wagovan or what? I think the DOHC ZC uses a different tranny bolt pattern, but im not 100% sure on that and is the wagon AWD?

5. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

You're thinking about the D16A1. The DOHC ZC uses the normal 88-00 pattern.

The DX transmission will work fine and so will the axles(I believe your stock Wagon axles should work too).

1 person likes this.
  6. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Thanks for clearing that up Kevin, but if its AWD youll have to use the stock wagon tranny. Sounds like a pretty good build. :thumbsup:

7. pasouza

pasouza New Member

Thanks for the help Kevin. The wagon is just 2wd.

8. pasouza

pasouza New Member

Another question. I read an article here about the ZC motor. It appears I have a 2nd gen JDM ZC motor here and there was a note about making sure to use the right flywheel and clutch combination if I were to bold the stock tranny to the motor. Does this mean I should use the flywheel off the D15B2 on the ZC and then mount the tranny?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted