91 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94tuner

ok i have just acquired a 91 civic hatch. I was looking at the motor and it says d16zc. But the engine is non vtec and to my knowledge there is no a single cam non vtec zc. Does anyone know if this is a hybrid engine or not?

No idea at all what the previous owner did to the car? It could be a zc block with a non v-tec head of some kind. You sure it isn't v-tec with no solenoid? Need more info on this.

Yeah its completly a non vtec head no solenoid. I am the 4th owner so all of the stuff was probably done by the first. But have any of you heard of a zc single cam non vtec? Also if i wanted to put a z6 head on the car what harness do i need?

yes, there is such a thing as a non vtec sohc zc. I had one in my old hatch and have installed them in a few peoples cars. As far as I know they are basically the same bottom end componants as a d16a6 motor so you should be able to treat it as such and do a mini me swap. Use your stock harness and modify it to work with the new head. If you car is dpfi than you will need to do a mpfi conversion. You will need to add the wires for vtec. It would be a good idea to convert to obd1 while you are doing the rest of the wiring because the only obd 0 ecu I know of that has native support for vtec is for the early b16a. I have read you can chip and modify a pm6 ecu out of a civic/crx si to run vtec using turbo edit to turn the a/c relay driver into a vtec driver. I have not done this myself however.

Back