OH 92 Civic HB GSR motor/suspension $3500

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Should nto have linked to craiglist ad, here is information on the car:
Civic HB Integra GSR Hybrid b18c1 - needs work
92 Civic hatchback with a GSR motor/tranny swap. Swap has been done since 2000 but in 2006 I over revved the engine and bent valves in the head and damaged a camshaft. Car has set since then. This car has won many awards and is very fast when running. I have done all the work myself except the motor rebuild. You are getting a steal if you don't mind putting some time into it. I will list everything I can possibly about the car and will not hide anything. I loved this car and have held off so long in fixing it that now I just want to sell it. Will not part out. I have around $15k in this car over the 6 years that I was actively driving and working on it. I still have many of the receipts.

See pics here, I tried to capture shots of everything wrong with it (paint, motor) as well in these pics: Picasa Web Albums - Chris - Honda_2009

92 Civic CX HB
96 GSR motor swap with full papers. Paid $3,800 for complete swap from Nebraska. Motor had 21k on it. Has about 45k now but many new parts. Swap was done carefully and right. Car ran 14.1 101mph 1/4 with just intake, header, exhaust.

Motor changes:
- 11.5:1 CR Wiseco pistons
- Performance clutch (forget the brand but could find it if you wanted to know)
- Slight head port/polish done a year before the over rev
- Had Skunk2 cams in it, exhaust cam still looks good but intake cam is bad now
- Type R valvetrain but needs valves and probably should have everything replaced (springs, retainers, etc). Also either need a intake cam to match the Skunk2 exhaust cam or full set of cams
- AEM intake
- DC 4-2-1 header
- Thermal Dynamics full exhaust
- Running a OBD1 computer P72
- Del Sol radiator
- Maybe more..but thats all I can remember right now

Suspension (handles like a dream, miss driving it!):
- Ground control coilovers
- Integra GSR lower control arms
- Integra GSR sway bars front and back
- Integra GSR front brake calibers and rotors
- KYB AGX adjustable shocks all corners
- Type R front brace bar
- 15" Kosei K1 racing wheels
- Yokohama AVS ES100 tires (< 4k miles and still in awesome shape)
- Camber kit installed and aligned

Interior:
- Mostly stock except large Tach added
- Driver seat bottom has a tear in it but other than that the interior is in great shape (this car used to be entered in car shows)
- 10" sub in spare tire area with small amp
- Alpine CD player

Things that need work:
- Paint has scratches, chips, dings, and there is rust in the rear quarters
- Drivers door all of the sudden wouldn't open. It worked fine prior to parking it. Should be just a broken linkage but wanted to list it
- Motor needs headwork (intake cams, valvetrain replaced, gaskets, and I would put a new belt on it)
- The cylinder walls cleaned up since it has been sitting for 3 years

Only serious inquires only please. # 330-553-0102

hmmmm...not that nice for $3K. Looks like motor has been rode hard...put away wet and then taking apart.

I disagree. For < $1000 in work (head work, cams, cyclinder honing) someone would have a 13 sec all motor honda. The only thing that could have been prevented was taking care of the cylinder walls before storing the car but they would be handled by a light hone job. You don't agree? I ask because I am curious and not because I am ignorant. I have been around this hobby for 10+ years, dealt with the ignorant many times.

Yeah....I disagree. I have a '92 Si (since '96) and have been a part of the race scene throughout those years. I've had the D16Z6...B18B1 and a B16A. This car seems to be another shell that was resurrected with a few trips to the recylcer/junkyard. (could tell by the Del Sol Radiator...which is the same radiator as the one the car came with) With the aftermarket head work...pistons.. its a hard sell with it running (and this guy would obviously want more if this was the case) but its all torn apart and been sitting. Its hard to sell a built motor...let alone one that needs to be torn down...honed....new bearings....micro polish the crank. People are skecthed out by someone who wants to sell a built motor. Many of us have seen some crappy 'built' motors. I've seen many 1/4 mile runs to prove crappy head work. If you KNOW FOR SURE the block is in very good working condition (machinist check it for cracks and such) and you're willing to put some money in it (and I think < $1000 is a tad low) plus you know how and love building motors (with all the tools obviously)....this would be a fun project. For someone who thinks it will all be good with $4000 total, delievered to their door and running 13's, I think that is a little foolish. And MOST Honda enthusiast (just like Muffstank enthusiasts) are not knowledgable enough to tear a motor down....or can even find a trustworthy machinsit who knows Hondas. Then to check the bearing clearances...torque it down (and thats a $80+ tool). It is a lot of work....paying somone would make this car have over twice its bluebook before it even gets driven. So you're in the hole with used parts that you don't truly know about. Its a bad deal.

I can see your point. Maybe I will have to spend the time and put it back together and sell running. I could see where this is a lot of questions even for a tech person, let alone a typical honda enthusiast and doesn't have much engine knowledge. Thanks for the opinion, sometimes its hard to see projects objectively. I hope it doesn't look like I am trying to rip someone else off though, trying to be totally honest about the project.

By the way, the car was by no means pieced together with some junkyard parts. You have seen/heard too many horror stories. The radiator was bought new and at the time I was told the Del Sol were slightly better than the stock civic although the same size (never checked that fact, so I might be wrong). The integra parts were all ordered online as upgrades, not to replace bad civic parts. Sorry, but that is the only comment that hurt!

Back