93 civic cx withe b18c/r

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TWISTEDIMAGE

have a 93 cx with a jdm b18c type r motor and need to know what ecu i need i am currently running aa p28 chipped, but the chip is junk and my car runs like butt. put in a virgin p28 and it runs awesom but that is not enough, need the correct ecu. what do you recomend?

have tried 2 diff chipped p-28 and they both suck

1 is mugen chip other is uber chip by matt

virgin p28 is great just not corect for b18c/r

yes and no... it was meant for the b16a in the eg, but in ur case its close enough. Only other stock ecu choice is running the obd1 p72 but it may throw a cel for no IAB's altho mine never did when i put my skunk2 manifold on. I would run the p72 or the p30 over a p28, it just does not have the right fuel and ignition maps in it. The other 2 however are very close to what u should be running. Last solution is to run the chipped p28 and get some one to burn u a custom chip with a stock ITR or tuned chip. Also FYI from my experience with my first b16a i ran a chipped p28 with all kinds of j's, mugen's and etc programs, but nothing ran the car better than my stock p30, the only better chipped solution i had is when i went to uberdata and tuned it myself.

Why don't you get a conversion ahrness, and run an OBD II ITR ECU? It is as close to perfect for the motor as you can get.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 26 2005, 04:13 AM
Why don't you get a conversion ahrness, and run an OBD II ITR ECU? It is as close to perfect for the motor as you can get.
[post=531202]Quoted post[/post]​

He is probably right about getting the jumper harness and running the OBD2 p73 (ITR) being the most perfect for the motor (since it is the ecu for the motor). Katman at ff-sqaud.com sells the conversion harness for about $150. I have the same swap in my hatchback, and at first I was running my brother-in-law's stock p30 (from and Si-R), and it ran it fine, but FOR SURE it is not running that motor at full potential. My bro-in-law has a B16A2 from a '00 si in his 94 hatch, and I had the ITR in my 92 hatch, and I could hardly get a nose in front of him (just because I was revving longer), because that ecu is running your motor like a B16A. What I ended up doing is having racingchips.com convert my stock P06 ECU (from the DX) for VTEC, and chip it to match ITR specs. I think the problem you are having is people trying to mimmick MUGEN maps and not doing a great job at it (or maybe those maps are just so aggressive they wouldn't be good unless you are racing it all the time, and have a bunch of upgrades to the motor). Racingchips.com will charge you $100 to convert a non-VTEC ecu to VTEC, and then they will chip it however you want (they have preset chips or they can make you a custom one). It is probably cheaper if you already have a VTEC ecu, then you would just need the chip which is only $20 or so. They can also add a lauch control feature that has a secondary rev limiter when you are stopped (mine is at 3200RPM, and it gives the perfect wheel slip every time, and once you let out the clutch, it goes all the way up). If you go this route, and have racingchips.com set your P28 to stock ITR specs it will be cheaper then the jumper harness, and then you can sell your P73 on ebay for $100 to $150, and make your money back.
Now that I have the right ecu my bro-in-law can't keep up so well like he could when I was using the P30. So I would say for the ideal set up buy the OBD2 to OBD1 jumper, and use the P73, but to save a little cash (you will probably make as much selling your ECU as it will cost you to get your ECU chipped), and have future tuning capabilities go with your chipped P28 and have it mapped right. Hope this helps.

interesting replys. one of the computers is chipped uber and the other is mugen chip and they bth run like poo. the uber has al the custom stuff, i.e. duel revs better map and so forth the mugen chip is just mugen. when i plug in either chiped ecu it bogs betwen 1500 to about 3k and then bogs at vtec engagment to 7k. just getting anoyed. plug in stock p-28 or stock p-30 runs perfect. plug in uber chip ecu in the sir that the p-30 came from and it runs the sir fine, wtf

I'll tell you why, because no one knows more about making Honda ECUs than Honda, that's why.

You have two choices if you want your motor to run right, first, use a Honda ECU, the closest one you can get for your motor. The second is, get a programmable ECU, take it to a shop, and have a knowledgable person TUNE it to the motor. Chips, while they they can be good, and close, can never be 100% spot on, because every motor is slightly different, however minute it might be.

i am very confused. what ecu would i need and how do i use the wide band to tune?

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Jul 29 2005, 05:08 AM
i am very confused. what ecu would i need and how do i use the wide band to tune?
[post=532670]Quoted post[/post]​

You need an ECU that is socketed to be chipped, and for datalogging. Then you need a computer with software that can datalog (there's different configurations of this). To use the wideband, there's a couple ways. There are ones you can stick in the end of your exhaust, commonly used, we have one at the autoshop on post with the diag machine. Or, you install one to work independent of the car with it's own reader, as a standalone unit, to replace the OEM o2, either way doesn't matter, personal preference.

Here's were you need someone that knows what they are doing. You need to adjust the air/fuel, ignition tables, etc...according to the data received.

There's ton more to it than this.

datalogging, while extreemely useful, is not necessary to tune a car. i tuned jaymac's turbo ZC with no datalogging whatsoever. just takes 6 eyes at the same time. lol watch the tach, the map, the tps, the a/f, and egt :)

Back