93 dx swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rotorpwr

hi, don't know enough about the enigne codes to get past the 4 letter min search function so i can't do a proper search..

looking for a write up or some info on doing a 93' D16 swap into a 93' DX.. besides the enigne, what can I get away with and can I not get away with , with the OEM D15 ECU and loom.. also if I am able to get the D16 ecu and loom are the hook ups to the dash and FP the same..

thanks and sorry for the poor search, I tried.

To swap a D16Z6 I assume into your DX, you need the motor, and ECU at a minimum. You should get the tranny, and engine harness if you can. Axles, shiftlinkage, and mounts are all the same.

It is pretty much a remove old motor, insert new motor, plug in and go.

One thing about the swap, 92's and SOME early 93's were wired for vtec, so you could only have to plug the harness and ECU in and be good. The only way to tell is to look at the canon plugs in the bay, and see if the wires are pinned in from the ECU or not. If they are not, you will have to add the vtec wires to the ECU, easy.

thanks, this is for a buddie actually, I'm a rotar head myself. this is a 93' D16 going ito a 93' DX body.. so I'll take a look at the wirings and go from there.. unfortunately we are using the D15 tranny with this job. thanks for the help on this.. now we need to find an ECu? any specific tunning code to look for ?

If you are putting in a D16Z6, which is the SOHC vtec motor from the 92-95 Si/EX, and DelSol Si, than you will want ot find a P28 ECU, that is the one that came with the said motors.

this is a Canadian DX which I think is a step lower on the totem pole then the comparable US version. would this still have the possible vtec connections on the loom? and thier is a time pressure issue here, is it possible to run the D16z6 with the D15 loom and ECU ( with vetec disabled of course.. ) mapping and timing be close enough to run until a loom and ecu can be sourced??

thanks guys you've been a great help so far..

The Canadian one is the same.

Yes it would still POSSIBILY have the connections, not all did. Grab a manual, and check the locations in the canon plugs.

Yes you can use the DX harness no problem, and if you want you can keep it, and just add the vtec wires, so you don't have to change the whole thing.

thanks guys.. I suppose the Vtec can be externally controlled via a rpm switch, which may be his perferred method.

Back