94 accord ex, error code vtec, what could that mean???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shorted the unit to check the error codes and one of them was for vtec.. it was 17, and the other was for idle... but i need help understanding what is error 17 exactly? and how do i fix it... any help is appreciated thanks!!!! vtec doesnt kick in sometimes and theres a major loss of hp, i noticed that it loses torque at about 4,000 rpm, and vtec only kicks in when the car been turned off and back on... please help!!!

It sounds like you may be in "limp mode". You need to fix what's causing the errors and then reset your ECU. If you don't know how to reset the ECU it's simple - just unplug the car's battery, let it sit for a minute, and then hook the battery back up, turn the car on, and let it idle for a few minutes.

As for how to fix the VTEC issue, have you checked your oil recently? VTEC needs oil to operate properly. If your oil level is low then you may want to add some. Also check the wiring on the solenoid to make sure everything's hooked up properly.

If that doesn't fix it then you may need a new VTEC solenoid...

Back