94 civic ex problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hkustoms

Hi, it's been a while since i've been active on this forum and I'm glad to be back. I have a little civic that is giving me fits as of lately for a daily driver for my mom. It's a 94 auto civic that was blown up by someone and I picked it up, swapped a stock d-series in it and got it to crank up. Only problem is, and it's new to me:

1) When 1st started it will rev up, but after you release the throttle it will not rev even though the pedal it being pushed.
2) the car threw codes 21,22,41. These codes shouldn't effect this right? Also a new o2 has been installed and no go.
3) I've actuated the tb by hand to see if it was working and no change. I am about to start getting mechanically involved soon if there isn't anyone that can help out on here.

Thanks and if I left some info out that is important, just pm me and I will add,

Rob

21, VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve. 22, VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch. 41,Primary Oxygen Sensor - Heater circuit malfunction.

Kind of sounds like you're in limp mode. but that could just be me

Wrong ECU for the motor?
What D series did you swap in? Is it the same D16Z6 that the '94 EX has?

That's the P28 (D16Z6) ECU that's throwing the codes? I'm guessing so with the VTEC codes
I agree about the limp mode. So you need to address the issue

If you have a non-vtec motor then you need a non-vtec ECU and visa versa

yep

I have a auto p28 with a jdm vtec sohc. D15b This combo has worked on countless #'s of sohc (manual) that I have swapped this one is just not being friendly and if it doesn't ring a bell to anyone as an "oh that's the XXXXX" Then I will start checking spark, air, fuel.

Thanks for the replies,
Rob

You just need to work those codes then. You said you changed the O2 and still threw the code???
Did you use the old wiring harness? If so, I'm guessing all the wiring is in tact and not an issue.
You can check each one of those codes (and you got a lot of them lol) I am 95% sure those VTEC
related codes will cause a limp. Do you still have the other motor to salvage stuff off?

yeah I do...

previously in cars limp mode or not I've never had one do this, they would run just not optimum. This won't even drive? No reving with it floored...??? New o2 still throwing primary o2 code. This is just leaving me to think maybe fuel or mechanical due to the obd system not having any other codes, I hate being stumped, and I'm a b-series guy not d-series, hell I've always had great luck with plug-play-start right up and run fine after a few min's...

Thanks for the pointers..

Rob

I plan on checking out some things on it thursday and depending on when I leave the shop i'll post by then or the next day...
Rob

alight, my D15B ran with out its VTEC just fine, threw the same codes... sigh, 1 thing you could check is are there any wires shorting out were the brain is, just a crazy thought, also what about the kock seasor? does it have 1 and is it grounded? also have u tryed un pluging the Map seansor ect near the trottle bod, and even the TPS just to see if its a seasor not working, is the car getting enough fuel when running, I would start looking around the intake mani almost sounds like ya mite have a little problem there and if not post up more info

got to try some things today

Today I swapped a dizzy from a running d16 which is what this car had in it to begin with and it now rev's up. The harness had a bad connector on the vtec pressure switch and I rigged it up and the codes went away, even the o2 code??? don't know why but whatever.

The car at idle now rev's upto 1500 and down to 750 continuously? I tried to take out the white screw/ plunger and no better on the tb. I also bled off the coolant at the hose connection on the cylinder head, still no change so I'm in need of some coolant routing diagrams to work off of?

This d15b came from japan and I kept the manifold and the dizzy of the original car. If there is something I'm missing please imform me/

As of now the car bounces at idle and once you try to steady it say at 2500 it stays there almost like the throttle plate is stuck??? Then it slowly comes back down about 5 sec's after letting go of the pedal? I plan on seafoaming it but if anyone else know's what in the hell this could be let me know ( the throttle cable looks fine and the plate is closed)

Thanks for the help and I look forward to some sugg's,
Rob

IACV?
So the idle hunts but it revs up better now?

Yep

That and the slow decelorating? It seems that in the 2500-4500rpm range rev's are normal instant up/down. I need some suggestions of clearing this up, anyone have any??? could it be an auto tranny issue? No CEL's I am going to try some seafoam this weekend or next week to see if it helps.

Last edited:
TPS sensor... bet its acting up, like I said its deff something on ya intake many, u could always try a q tip and some achol and clean the seasor off :)

Back