94 civic ex running rough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flyboy

I have a 1994 civic ex vtec. I just replaced the starter and less than 30 min. latter I had to spend another $300 replacing the distributor, because my car died in the middle of the road. I thought that the new distributor would fix my rough idling problem but it didn’t. My car has been running really rough in the low rpms ever since I fixed my loose leaking exhaust manifold, and now that I changed my entire exhaust system (which I though would fix the problem) it has been even worse. The mechanic that replaced my distributor said that my nearly new spark plugs looked burnt and my plug wires looked old, so I will look at them this weekend. I really don’t think this is going to do much to fix the low rpm rough idling and lack of low rpm power. I have a feeling that my Vtec solenoid is bad and that I am stuck on the high rpm cam. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be something more serious like a compression problem or a timing issue? I would really appreciate some help, thanks.

if you are stuck on the vtec lobe then you would definately be feeling lag at the low rpms (anyone with a vtec controller who set it really low to see what it would do knows this)
But I don't think that the sol can get stuck in the open position. . . I could be wrong, but I have only seen it get stuck closed, and that will throw a CEL.

Are you sure? I have no idea about the solenoid but it doesnt feel like its kicking in any more. Maybe my mixture is off? I dont know hoe to change it. Any ideas?

Back