1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 delSol S Oil problem

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by ukf, May 17, 2006.

1. ukf

ukf Junior Member

Hey guys,

My name's Danny. I'm new to hondaswap.com so I'm not entirely sure if I'm posting this in the right section. I tried searching for an answer to my question on these forums and didn't really find anything about it.

First off, I have 94 delSol S and I put a AEM Cold Air intake on it. Havent really had time to put the bypass valve on it, but it hasn't been a problem - i think... Whenever it was raining pretty hard down here in Baton Rouge, LA - I thought I sucked up some water into the engine, as it turned out, that wasn't the case - the car worked fine after that for about 2-3 hours. Next morning I went to start up the car and it started backfiring and sputtering, trying to stall out. I got to a shop and as it turned out I had water in my distributor. So I changed that out, and the car seemed to work perfectly fine for about a week. Then it started backfiring whenever I'd simply rev the engine. I check the oil - it was almost gone. So I added some oil, the car started running fine, but then after about 150-200 miles, the engine ate up about a quart of oil. There's no leaks, no sign of anything wrong, except for the oil just disappearing - I'm guessing it's an internal problem.

So here's my question - is this serious? What could be the problem? And how much longer would you guys think I have left on that engine (I'm at about 106k right now). If I do need an engine swap - how much would it cost (and I'm sure a lot of people have asked this already, just haven't researched it yet) to get a new engine with a swap - either b series (what would you recommend? a b16a1, etc.?) or should I go with a h22?

Sry about so many questions and thanks in advance,
    Danny L.

2. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

If you don't see any leaks, then most likely your piston rings are worn excessively. That problem can be solved with a rebuild, but if you are looking for more power and on a budget, try looking into a b18b out of an Integra LS(RS, GS) out of a 94-01. To make the swap as cheap and easy as possible find a 94-95 so you don't run into any OBD issues.
    Don't worry about the bypass valve for the CAI. It's worthless unless you completely sumerge your filter-why would you do that? I know my Civic isn't a Hummer so I don't drive it through rivers and such.
    If you are burning that much oil, I wouldn't think you have very much time left. With that much blowby, you will wash down your cylinder walls and ruin any bearings in that engine. Gasoline isn't a very good lube.
    Personally, I think the B18c1 is a good engine for the money. I think the b18c5 is pricey for what advantages it has over the c1. The b18b with a b16's tranny is very fun for little money compared to the others. No vtec though. Still has much more torque than a B16.
    Bottom line is what is your budget and what do you want out of the car?

3. ukf

ukf Junior Member

thanks for the quick reply. just as much as i expected.

a rebuild sounds a little bit out the question, since I'm looking for a lot more hp and torque out of it. As for the budget, well, I'm not going to go as high as a k20 or whatnot, b/c i asked a couple of ppl and they said that would go for about 7k, but I'm want to stay under 2-3k(including engine, all parts needed, tranny? and labor). I just want to get the most out of the cheapest, i guess, so that I could run pretty good times on the quater mile (right now, the best i ran was 17.01). I wanted to cut that down as much as possible, without a turbo/supercharger (however, i do want to put a turbo on it a little later down the road - so I need an engine, to which I could be able add a turbocharger).

Yet again, thanks for all your help,
    Danny.

4. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

For your budget and plan to boost later go B18C(1)

5. ukf

ukf Junior Member

so what would be a good website to get b series engines for cheap?

Edit: other than ebay preferably...

Edit2: yes i know this question has been answered 1083810298 times most likely... the only post about it, however, that i found only included http://www.hmotorsonline.com ... ne other websites? would it be a good idea to try a junkyard?

6. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

hmotorsonline is where it's at, and i've never heard anything bad about them.
    I can't remember hearing of any other online websites with a reputation even CLOSE to HMO.
    If you live in a city, you won't find a GSR in the junkyard usually.. the people who work there take em first.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted