95 non-vtec into 98 vtec swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accord16nj

:worthy: I have a 98 civic ex, 5-spd, and im trying to swap it with a (95)d16y8 block but the head is -non-vtec- from a 95.re-built, all the goodies... the wire harness has one clip to the distibutor , but the dist. has two clips.... is there a dist. i can switch it with that has one clip or must I splice them together using the wiring diagrams.???. is there somewhere I can get the diagram for the 92+ ??.. also does the 95 have a knock sensor?? I was told it doesnt but I just want to be sure.

I don't know about the distributor? What do you mean, does the one clip have the same amount of wires in it to equal the two clips? For the knock sensor, if you are running the ECU for the 95 motor you don't have to worry about it because 92-95 don't have knock sensors, but if you are using the ecu for the 98 (original motor) then I don't know.

Darin

if your using the 98 engine harness they you'll need a obd-2 dist. you can splice them but its a pain the ass and it doesnt look to clean...as far as the knock sensor concerns you dont have one so dont worry about it

Yes there are the same number of wires coming from the dist. and from the (98)harness. But the harness only has one clip, with the 10 wires, and the dist. has two clips... one with 2 wires ( Black w/ yellow & a blue), the other with 7 w/ various colors. I have the OBDI computer that came with the head(non-vtec). The dist. is OBDI already. So if i splice the (98)harness into the 2 male connectors that I need for the dist. to match, are the wires the same?? (per wiring diagram). Is there anything that needs to be omitted or changed.>?

DSV

see thats the thing, you would have to have wiring diagram for both obd1 and obd2 civics and see what colors certain wires and what they do and match them up.... i have never personally ran into the situation your in but i do have a friend who has a 97 vtec head and dist. in a 93 civic and he had ran into the same problem in which he had to splice and match wires.... ill have to talk to him and see whats all involved and get back to you

Back