96 accord head swap non vtec to vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smacconnell

ok i have been working on this for a bit and now need help. i have a 96 accord the timming belt went and i bent some valves. i went to the wrecker and got a head mine was a non vtec and the new one was a vtec. when i asked the guy he sad it was the same thing and would work just fine it just would not have the vtec working. so i have the head on the car now and it has a miss some where around 5000 rpm and wont shift unless you let off. i have now looked around on the forum and found you can hook up vtec and that is what my problem is not having it wired up. do i need to get a computer from a vtec or will mine work because it is still a 96 head to a 96 head ? thanks for the help !

In order to make VTEC work, you will need the appropriate computer and you will need to add in the wiring for VTEC. It's not difficult at all; it's just a few wires. Google it or run a search here on HondaSwap; you'll find a "How To"...

have looked and still have a question i have a obd1 computer. will the new computer need to be odb2 ? or will it be odb1 just for a vtec ? what car should it come out of i am going to get it from a wrecker.

Why do you have an OBD1 computer? If your car is a 96 and the new head is a 96, then the ECU from either car should be OBD2, since the Accord went OBD2 starting in 96...

i dont know but this car has no spot to read codes under the dash that makes it odb2 right ? the car is a 96 i have the # off the computer if this helps 37820-pob-a70-881-187943 itp was on the one side and the other sticker said ba7 881 and a date stamp apr 11 96. one other thing with wiring up the silinoid this one has one wire and no pressure switch i have to put it on pin # 26 ?

ok i have the other computer now and want to put it in tonight. i have been looking all over with no real luck in finding out what pin i have to run the wire too. can someone point me in the right direction that would be great. thanks !

what did i say something dumb ? lol sorry i am a newbe on the forum thing and honda as well. most of the postings i have found tells you how to do it with a pressure switch i do not have one. i would love to get this car running back the way it should thanks again

smacconnell did you ever get your VTEC to work? I'm doing a F22B1 VTEC head on my F22B6 block and I need to know what's all involved in converting. Would be awesome if you could help me out here lol.

I am new to this forum as well and I have the same question but mine is 96 accord can I get a 94 wiring harness and ecu and vtec head and make the whole thing a bolt on and plug and play swap?

Back