96 b16 to 95 b18b DOHC v-tec swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96civic

i have a 96 civic with a B16 motor and i want to swap it for a 95 B18B motor. will this new motor bolt up to my tranny? will i have to change anything else?

Originally posted by 96civic@Feb 18 2005, 01:24 AM
i have a 96 civic with a B16 motor and i want to swap it for a 95 B18B motor. will this new motor bolt up to my tranny? will i have to change anything else?
[post=462485]Quoted post[/post]​

I think the real question is why in the hell would you do that in the first place??? Unless your B16 is blown, you'll be downgrading big time. If anything, swap your B16 block for the B18B, and use the B16 tranny......=LS/VTEC

B16A>>>>>B18B

All opinions aside, all B-series trannies are interchangeable, so yes you could use it. In terms of everything else, as long as your current B16 is OBD1, then you wont have any wiring issues...just a few wires for VTEC and stuff that you wont be using with the B18B. If your current B16 is OBD2, then you'll have to get a conversion harness. If you're planning on putting alot of power in that B18B later on, I'd toss the B16 axels cuz they're pretty flimsy. Other than that, it's a pretty basic swap....the only thing I'm not sure of is the mounts.....maybe someone could help you out there....

But yet again.....WHY????

my opinion...

LS>>>>>b16

LSvtec> LS >B16

Either way it should be a simple swap. Anything that doesn't plug up take off the b16 and put on the LS. I don't think the b16 distributor will fit so you may need an obd2a LS dizzy (if you stayed obd2).

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 18 2005, 11:37 AM
my opinion...

LS>>>>>b16

LSvtec> LS >B16

Either way it should be a simple swap. Anything that doesn't plug up take off the b16 and put on the LS. I don't think the b16 distributor will fit so you may need an obd2a LS dizzy (if you stayed obd2).
[post=462587]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: I can't count the amount of times the both of us have had it out on this topic!

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 18 2005, 02:34 PM
oh now i see why now..

You have a b16a in your hatch.

I bet you can guess what I have in mine?
[post=462702]Quoted post[/post]​

I can pull the old "my buddies car" bullshit...but I wont. Pretty much where my opinion comes from is that I have driven an LS hatch...once...and it was retardedly slow. I had a B18C1 in my hatch and it got stolen...I liked it. I now have a jdm B16A (couldnt afford another gsr), and I can tell little to no diffrence than with the gsr. So now I like the B16....it is a little more suited to my driving style with the shorter gears and higher powerband.

My opinion:
B18B= reliability, old technology, lots of torque but not enough power to make use of it, weak tranny, but cheap and easy to replace...overall great all-purpose engine.

B16A= VTEC, super-high redline, reliability, no torque, lots of top end, short gears, and pretty affordable overall. People bitch about the lack of torque, but seriously, who cares? it's not a drag motor. When you're lapping it is very rare that you even go onto the low lobe anyways, and when VTEC kicks on the B16, you're good till redline. It's an autoX engine, plain and simple.

To me, a honda engine has 4-cylinders, DOHC's, and VTEC....however that comes, I dont care.

maybe your friends engine was beaten on. I dunno

A b18b1 with a b16 or GSR trans will hang with a b16

The only advantage of the b16 is VTEC, i could do an LSVtec and I might, but right now I'm doing a turbo setup which a b16 has no competition against.

Either way, it's personal preference.

What does or did your b16 hatch run at the strip.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 19 2005, 06:20 AM
What does or did your b16 hatch run at the strip?
[post=463073]Quoted post[/post]​

Drag strip? ... only been once. I dont have the timeslip anywhere close so it's just hearsay, but I ran a fraction under 14 seconds with Drag radials. I was happy with that.

but right now I'm doing a turbo setup which a b16 has no competition against.

How is that?

Since you have the b16 already go turbo or high comp NA. I also favor the LS (B18b :wave: ownz) If you want some more tq go LS/vtec. You have most of the work done. You would just need a ls block and the kit easy stuff

A turbo LS will tear a b16 to peices.

A b16 turbo is a goods choice though, but a b16 in stock form or even lightly modified isn't going to be able to catch an LST, and I'll have done it for less than the cost of a b16 swap. :)

thats some decent times, low 14's high 13s?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 20 2005, 07:14 PM
A turbo LS will tear a b16 to peices.

A b16 turbo is a goods choice though, but a b16 in stock form or even lightly modified isn't going to be able to catch an LST, and I'll have done it for less than the cost of a b16 swap. :)

[post=463566]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree....a stock LS Turbo setup will definately be faster than a stock N/A B16.....but thats comparing apples and oranges. Take both engines in stock form and throw the same turbo setup on each and the B16 will come out on top.
But you're right...the LS setup will be way less expensive....that's why the LS engine is good on a budget :)

thats some decent times, low 14's high 13s?

Ya man....I only weigh 140lbs and I took out the back seats, spare tire, and door panels. It was my one attempt at drag racing. My best pass of the day was something to the tune of 13.9xx ...but as I said, I have no freeking idea where the timeslip is, so you'll just have to take my word for it ;)

Back