96 gsr swap ques

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typerhead

i recently dropped a jdm gsr motor into my civic. i was curious if the iab sensor had to be wired in? when i start up my car when cold it idles about 1400 then it will go to normal but later when car is hot it will idle fine until i am at a complete stop the idle will drop to about 150-200 rpm and seems like its hard to breathe. sometimes it will idle so low it will die. the ecu i swapped is from japan and not sure what the problem is.
any feedback would be great

the IAB's don't have to be wired for the car to run-

the idle problem is more than likely a result of problems at the IACV (EACV)

if the ECU matches the motor that shouldn't be the problem- I'd check wiring to the IACV first and then swap in a unit that is know to be working properly-

what trim civic did you put the swap in? unless it was an ex or si, then you have to rewire your iacv to a 2 wire plug, and this is your idle problem. the iab's have to be wired in to function properly, but won't affect how the car runs without them.

my car is a 96 hx this is the 2nd time i put a iacv in? after a while the idle just drops down in idle from 850 to 150 sounds then it sounds like its gasping for air and sometimes it will just die when it drops down in idle does will the iacv do that???

no, your iacv wouldn't do that. do you have any cel's? could be dirty injectors, fuel filter, pump going bad, anything really, what have you replaced recently and did it just start doing it or has it done this the whole time you've had the swap?

Checked your timing yet? I've had a similar problem and this was the cause.

And one more thing, what year is the motor? OBD I or II?

Not much hoseing under the engine bay. But if you need a mapping of the vac hoses, look under your hood. There should be a pic of the vac hoses.

Back