'96 ITR / '98+ ITR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xkwzt21

I am planning on swapping one of the following two set-ups into a daily driver car. Im going to keep it all motor. Okay, so from what i have read the '96 ITR set-up has a final drive ratio of about 4.4, while the '98+ ITR has a final drive ratio of 4.7

1. With this said, what does this mean?

2. For each set-up, in 5th gear going 70mph what rpm range will i be in.

Sorry, im a novice at doing the swaps, and i know there are some pros on this forum.

Gears 1-3 are the same fourth and fifth are different, and I have no idea exactly what 5th at 70 would be, I imagine not to far from 4000rpms.

i scored an LS fifth gear for my ITR tranny with 4.40 final drive ... i know that at 80 mph i was at 3550.. i forget what 70 was.. i rarely did 70... but the car has been garaged for a long ass time and i haven't driven it in months

dont double post yO.

Cool, thanks for the insight everyone, i knew i could count on the peeps here to steer me in the right direction and answer my questions.

I've got a 99 ITR about to be dropped in. I'll let you know all about it this weekend. By the way...WOOHOO! I hit 100 posts!

Ok, so i got a quote of $6300. This includes:

'98+ ITR complete swap
Labor
ACT clutch
new timing belt and water pump
remanufactured axles
auto to manual parts (used)
radiator hoses
'99 civic SI mount
Fluids (antifreeze, engine oil, tranny fluid)
ngk spark plugs

What do you all think...good deal or not worth the money?

what size tires is that with ???

with 205/50/15s im at about 3750 3800 at 70mph with my ITR swap

:hmm:

(80 is about 4300)

i do.

98 jdm itr w/ 0.787 5th, 4.785 FD, 195/60-14: 70mph = 3800 rpm
96 jdm itr w/ 0.848 5th, 4.4 FD, 195/60-14: 70mph = 3800 rpm

funny isn't it. if you don't believe me, www.f-body.org/gears

edit:
i myself chose the 96 over the 98, because i'm getting the ats 4.9 FD later. amd yes, the 4.9 is very different than the 4.785. i've ridden in both, and the 4.9 just fawking rips every gear. there's never a need to downshift on the highway, it pulls right out of 5th no problem.

the guy with the 4.9 says his gas mileage is better than with the 4.4. you can get in 5th going 25 and are able to engine brake and use lighter throttle inputs a lot more on the highway. (fyi, your fuel injectors shut off when off the throttle in gear).

but he might be BSing me on it actually being better.

edit again:

the ex tach is off by +200 rpm exactly. i know because my vafc (best tach ever) reads exactly 200 lower than the ex cluster. i can also hear my vtec at exactly 5000, and it's set at 4800. so your 4000rpm is really only 3800.

oh yeah, if you're shifting at redline, you still have 200 more rpms to go. you're welcome. :)

thanks for the info and the input guys...webink posted a long time ago and i was beginning to wonder if he was ever going to get his motor installed or not. im very happy for you that you got it in already, im jealous. :p

Back