1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 HX auto-manual plus z6 swap

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by Al Dente, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Al Dente

Al Dente New Member

Alright I want out of this CVT B/S!!

Mine just started slipping/shaking and I don't want to have to keep dealing with this. I decided I am going to swap the motor and trans, and build a sohc turbo setup. Reason being is money is going to be kinda of tight for a bit, and I don't really have enough to really make a B-series worth the effort. I've been doing a lot of research on single cam setups and they are extremely underrated and efficient for the amount of money you need to invest. So here's some more questions that I need answering. Again, I am sorry for the newb questions but I'm the kind of guy that likes to get one on one advice. Not stuff through the grapevine. I find a lot of info on the web that is old news, not cool.

First off, I know the singles cam turbos whomp on most stock DOHC motors. But how do they last in terms of reliability? I've heard lots of good things, but I am curious to hear others luck with them. I planned on upgrading to vitara pistons, and getting a tougher rod w/ good bearings etc. Possibly a mild port job, and a cam as well.

Secondly, I read somewhere that these V-tec-e heads are actually a preferred head in terms of single cam setups? I know you have to replace the internals of it, but for some reason I can't remember or find the site...I have a z6 long block chilling in my garage, but needs a rebuild. Basically, whats the best combo for boost, and what do I have to do to the vtec-e head?

And third, what is the best transmission to mate with for a boosted single cam setup?

2. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

how much do you have to spend.. I once bought a complete LS swap for 1300 from a local scrapyard... it all just depends on your budget..

3. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

just another side note.. how much power do u want to have... a sohc on stock internals can't make alot, granted its quite a bit more most times 1.5x times its stock #'s but then at that cost you could have gotten a nice B series motor... just another thing to think about is all..

4. jdmLife

jdmLife I KILL V8s

a buddy of mine has a jdm d15b in his eg and hes been pushin 10lbs of boost for almost a year on stock internals without any issues and he walks on gsr's he bought the d15 swap on craigslist for 650 so i guess jus keep ur eyes out for a good deal

5. serrilion

Would agree.. the D15B is a way under rated motor lol.. 7lbs of boost and dito on its still running, my buddie loves his DD.. 2 years running strong

6. intenseneal

intenseneal New Member

My Ls swap on my 98 HX ran right around $1500 for motor, tans and parts.
    You cant swap an OBD1 motor into an OBD2 car, not legal and wont pass emissions.

7. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

damn im glad there is no more emissions bull crap where i live..

8. serrilion

my state is 10 years older the inspection station doesn't need to check on ECU or the codes it throwing... Head lights, Tail lights, Reverse lights, E break, breaks and a good windshield thats about it.. oh and no rotted out exhausts... so ya.. VT = easy pass

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted