98 lx head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mkvamso

i need to change the head gasket on my 98 civic. Im wondering if i need a head gasket kit that includes all the valve seals, intake and exhaust gaskets, and other bullshit, or just a head gasket. also can i reuse the headbolts or is it mandatory that i get new ones?

thanks

At the minimum you need the head gasket, intake manifold gasket, and the exhaust manifold gasket. You should only get the others if you are planning to take apart the entire head while you are at it. As for the head bolts the Service Manual doesn't say you need to replace them, but majestic is currently selling them for $1.90 each and it couldn't hurt. Its your call just make sure you clean out the holes and put oil on the threads of the bolts before installing them.

anyone have the sequence for the head bolts, and the torque specs?
thanks

9 3 1 5 7
8 6 2 4 10

(1) torque 1-10 in order to 14 ft*lbs, (2) then 1-10 to 36 ft*lbs, (3) then 1-10 to 49 ft*lbs, (4) then re-torque 1 and 2 to 49 ft*lbs. Make sure to apply engine oil to the threads and if any of the bolts make noise, you have to loosen them and then re-torque them from the first step.

Last edited:
Back