98 mustang keeps kicking out of gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

Long story short:
98 mustang 5spd, replaced clutch in it in 2003.
when i got the car back 2nd started grinding and kicking out then it quit.
8 months later 3rd did the same.
Spring of last year tranny started slipping. For a quick fix i bought another clutch (stage 1). Still had 1, 4, and 5.
This spring i couldn't shift down into first unless i was going under 20mph
Within the last 2 months first has started kicking out gear when coming out of a stop . Sometimes takes 4 and 5 tries and some grinding in the middle of an intersection for the car to get going.
While the car is neutral there is a high pitched squealing noise. When I press the clutch in the noise goes away.
Anybody know whats wrong with it? I know I need a new tranny but i'm trying to hold off for a complete swap.
What to do?

Get a new T-5 five speed. I'll bet all your synchro forks are gone.

Are these trannies still top-loaders?

I would go to say that the Mounts are dying too quickly, and that only applies if it's linkage shift. Top Loader you'll know if your mounts are bad.

Quoted post[/post]]
Are these trannies still top-loaders?

I would go to say that the Mounts are dying too quickly, and that only applies if it's linkage shift. Top Loader you'll know if your mounts are bad.

I know 99-04 GT TR3650's are top loaders, I'm 50% sure that everything up to the 05 year are top loaders.

I know I need a new one. I want to swap it all together but I have to get the civic straight first. Money IS the object. It is really dangerous. I could be making a turn with a 18wheeler coming and the bitch will kick out of gear. Its like watching the grim reaper playing a joke me. :rip:

go to a junkyard and pick up a new tranny. that thing is fubar.
how the hell do you start on a hill taching out 1st and then going to 700 rpm in 4th gear? lol

im willin to bet your syncros are gone. take b's suggestion and find a GT in the junk yard. there should be enough of em there to last a life time. Its like every 16 year old girl gets one and they are in front enders. engine is scrap but the tranny should be okay.

Bent shift forks or worn out dog ears. Either way, it'll be less expensive to bite the bullet and go pick up a used T-45.

Yes, it is a toploader. Every mustang since 1979 has been, and probably a while before then also. :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
Bent shift forks or worn out dog ears. Either way, it'll be less expensive to bite the bullet and go pick up a used T-45.

Yes, it is a toploader. Every mustang since 1979 has been, and probably a while before then also. :wink:

Up until the 05 year. The 05 GTs use the same Tr3650 as the 99-04s, but they aren't top loaders.

Back