98 Prelude gearbox

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

carswhatever

Hey guys I'm getting this really good deal on a 98 Prelude type S with a supposedly damaged gear box. The owner says that there is a whirring sound coming from the gearbox whenever the car is driving. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what this could possibly be.

Also does this Prelude use the same gearbox as the 92 to 96 Prelude? If so maybe I could swap the one from my 94 Accord LX

Do you mean that you're getting the engine from a Prelude Type S?

Any other details about the "whirring noise" comnig from the gearbox? How does he know it's the gearbox? Which gears? Acceleration AND deceleration?

And the tranny from a Type S is quite different from a tranny off of a more standard H22A. It's geared slightly shorter, and will sometimes come equipped with a factory LSD. Same bellhousing, however.

Swapping an F22 tranny onto an H22 engine is about the worst thing you can do, unless you're running a turbo'ed H22. The extremely long gears of the F-series tranny will severely hinder the performance of the H22.

I'm actually getting the Prelude type S, the owner "thinks" it's the gearbox, I don't think he's had a mechanic check it out. The car is 120 miles away and I just found out about it, so I have to take a day off work to go check it.
I just want to know how easy it would be to replace this gearbox if it came down to that, cause getting one from a 92-96 Prelude wouldn't be a problem.

Wait....are you sure you're not getting a Prelude SH? BIG difference between a Prelude SH and a Prelude Type S.

You're getting several Accord and Prelude models mixed up, as well as engines and generations.

Accord Euro-R: JDM, F20B engine, 200 hp, blue valve cover, pre-2001
Prelude Type S: JDM, H22A engine, 220 hp, red valve cover, pre-2001
Acura TSX: Watered-down USDM version of the new JDM ATR, K24 engine, 200hp, post-2001
JDM Accord Type R: JDM, K24 engine, 240hp, AWD, post-2001

thanks man, sorry I took so long, it's the JDM H22a 220 hp. This car is street legal where I am...

Originally posted by carswhatever@Dec 24 2003, 04:47 PM
thanks man, sorry I took so long, it's the JDM H22a 220 hp. This car is street legal where I am...

Nice find. I think you'll be pretty happy with it, especially if the tranny is LSD-equipped.

Back