98ek obd2 d16z6 swap completion help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

arcueda

Hi everyone, my names Jason.Im new to the forum, and been performing various automotive enhancements for the past few years.Ive owned everything from wrxs to turbo 240sxs, and currently drive a turbo supra. (proof on instagram @arcueda)
That said ive frequented other various forums but ive respectivly never been in the civic game personally.
Recently i got a good deal on a 98EK(y8) and sold it to my brother. after a few months he threw a piston through the block:
5-1.jpeg

in a rush to get him back to work we picked him up a good decent 1.6 off craigslist not knowing it was an older obd1(z6).
determined to make it work i began the clean up and swap. replaceing waterpump/timing belt/clutch/tstat/motor mounts ect.
2.jpeg

so then i got the motor in and mounted up, couldnt help but clean up the bay, re-paint and tuck wires/shave bay:
6.jpeg

1.jpg

i ran into the typical problems everyone does: swaped out injectors, ckf trick performed, all grounds/(+) have good voltage, reusing obd2 harness/ecu.

ok heres where i ran into trouble... drilled out holes of old distributor and wasnt firing properly(seemed like timing) so i swapped out for a new obd1 dizzy and rewired the harness.now it turns but isnt kicking over as well as it was with old dizzy.
throwing code p0355 cps sensor
ive rececked my wiring with no avail
i can take some close ups tomarrow of the ecu/dizzy wiring but maybe i missed something different
any input would be GREATLY apreciated so i can get my brother independtly rolling to work
4.jpeg

thaks, Jason

maybe i got my cuts wrong at the ecu? 4 wires leading into 2 at the ecu or 2 wires leading into 4 at the ecu?

Headache-free way: use the z6 dizzy, buy a jumper harness to connect it to the y8's engine harness, don't touch the ecu wiring.

ok well thats what i did + the ecu jump, did i do too much? re-wire the y8 ecu the stock way? thanks for the help

If you buy the jumper for the dizzy plug to the harness plug, you don't have to touch the ecu.

i rewired the ecu, no difference, im gonna go through and check everything again with my brother turning the key while i diagnose.

ok here what i came up with trying to diagnose the po355 cps sensor

Crankshaft position sensor
obd2 Harness d16z6 dizzy result
(+)lt blue (+)blu/green (-)
(-)white (-)blu/yellow (-)
darkblu (-)

so i guess my quesion is why is my obd2 harness throwing (-)negative for (+) crankshaft position output?

thanks again

sorry that was spaced out better on my preview^
supposed to show 3 columns reprenting 3 wires showing ground

not getting spark now, i fear the worst for the ecu. white wire for cps doesnt seem to be reading right. not that anyone cares...

i followed a wiring diag i found online here:D16z6 / D16y8 Obd1/2 Distributer wiring conversion - D-series.org
^solder and shrink wrapped.
someone on another forum said use p28 ecu and jumper harness, but id like to keep it obd2 if possible so i dont run into any trouble down the line plus its another 100-200$ and i feel like ive missed something stupid.
i rechecked my work a million times this weekend with a friend and doesnt see an issue besides the fact the white wire on the dizzy seems to be shorting out, but im not sure if its supposed to or not

i used wiring diagram found here:http://www.d-series.org/forums/engi...6y8-obd1-2-distributer-wiring-conversion.html
heat shrinked and soldered
i had a friend come over and recheck everything with me and said it all looks right. only awkward thing was white wire on dizzy appeared to be shortying at ecu, idk if its supposed to or not.
i was told by a different forum to install p28 ecu and jumper harness but i was trying to avoid the complete obd1 conversion and extra 100-200$
thanks for the help josh appreciate it

I have never had any luck replacing dizzy plugs, I have always bought the jumper and it works every time.
Rywire OBD2 10PINS to OBD1 Distributor Adapter Harness | eBay
Buy that, undo all the changes on the ecu end of the harness including the crank fluctuation trick, and make sure it runs.
If all is well you will have a cel for the fluctuation sensor, then perform your bypass and make sure everything still works.

UPDATE*
after i installed the new dizzy i some how blew fuse #31 for ignition.
popped in a new fuse, got the spark back i had lost. after messing with the ignition timing i got it to start up and and hold VERY WEAK at full throttle, im guessing my timing is a little off elsewhere still.
i knew it was something stupid. its dark and cold idk how much more ill do tonight. i have a buddy coming over with a timing light tomorrow.
still looks like its throwing p0355 with oem ecu wire up.
thanks again

UPDATE+
motor runs, blew a fuse at somepoint during alternator instalation
car idles great. tach and speedometer not working
fan isnt kicking on. good fuse/relay/motor lead me to believe its the coolant temp sensor
also havent solved p0355 yet

speedo works(bad vss sensor),
boggs after around 2/3g still. no tach. p0355
im guessing its in the dizzy wiring
no fan, i deleted the cruise control idk if thats effecting speedo, im assuning its not tho

Back