99 civic check engine light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davyd11

i may be a retart but cannot find connector to jumper so i can tell what is wrong with car. 99 honda civic dx; check engine light just came on

It's pretty easy.
Although your car is OBD2b and is best checked with an OBD2 diagnostic "scan tool" you can check the codes yourself easily and even see what they mean.

Look on your passenger side under dash area near where your ECU is located. You should look and feel around for a two-prong plug that will more than likely be green or blue or even brown.

Take a piece of wire or a bent paper clip and touch one side each of your wire or paperclip to each of the pins on that plug. This will complete the "loop" and allow you to check your codes.

Turn your key into the "on" position just before the car actually cranks, and count the flashing check engine lights.

Long flashes mean 10, while short flashes mean 1. So if you had 2 long blinks quicly follwed by 3 short flashes you'd have a code 23. You may se more than one code, so be sure to count the flashes until you see the same code repeated again to be sure you got all the codes.

The codes are as follows:

Code Meaning
1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
4 CKP - crank position sensor
5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
15 Ignition output signal
16 Fuel injectors
17 VSS - speed sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
20 Electrical load detector
21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
22 VTEC pressure valve
23 Knock sensor
30 Automatic transmission A signal
31 Automatic transmission B signal
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
43 Fuel supply system
45 Fuel system too rich or lean
48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
58 TDC sensor #2
61 Primary oxygen sensor
63 Secondary oxygen sensor
65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater

Also there are more in the 70's I *think* and they mean random misfires, which usually means you need spark plugs and/or wires or a general tune-up.

"Look on your passenger side under dash area near where your ECU is located. You should look and feel around for a two-prong plug that will more than likely be green or blue or even brown."

Does the plug resemble a over sized phone jack with 2 outlets (with one of the outlets occupied by a plug) ? I found a green plug, like I just described, and a flat brown one. Thanks

most cars it's brown, and simply has 2 plugs in it.... but it doesn't look like a phone jack at all...

Back