99 gsr into 99 ek oil problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h.wood

trying to gain as much knowledge in my engine as i can...i'm burning oil somewhere but really cant see where, i see a small leak by the head gasket so im gonna change that and might be the dizzy seal....thing is i got smoke coming out the exhaust...now im not loosing any power and the engine runs like a champ but when i get on it you can see the smoke coming out the exhaust.....but still no lose in power...ive been told i might have bad valve seal's and that may be the cause of it, also have a rear main seal but i dont think that would cause the smoke in the exhaust...other than this smal problem my engine runs like a champ with no problem's, it's an obd2 to obd1 p28 chiped no rev limiter and no spped limiter.....any input would be great :worthy:

How much smoke? A small amount can be expected when in vtec. What color is it? Are your oil levels dropping fast?

Usually the cam seal is the first to go, over time it heats up, and loses it flexibility and sealing properties, though on a 99 I wouldn't think it should be bad yet. Possible your having valve seating issues. Maybe just a valvelash would help.

it varies sometimes when it sits at idle for awhile and you start to move heavy smoke comes out...but mostly it happens when i step hard on it..the smoke comes out before i hit vtec but durning normal driving it really doesent happen...smoke color is like a drk grey maybe, and the oil level only go down fast if i play to hard

whats a valvelash?
and if its a valve seating issue is that somthing to be worried about

valve lash is thetolerance between rocker arm and valve spring tappet when the vavle is at rest..i.e. you might need to adjust your vavles. do you hear excessive chatter?. with excessive amounts of smoke and oil loss, im leaning more towards valve selas or piston rings....then again your p28 could have a shitty map on it.

hmmmm i didnt think about the map...i got my swap done a pry racing here in houston and never heard anything bad about them....but i guess it wouldnt hurt to go check it out.....

shit i just as well play it safe and replace all my seal's
already have my head gasket and my rear main seal...might as well do them all while i have it taken apart

as far as the chatter sometimes when i start it up i here a thrrrrr sound but i had that check and been told its nothing...cause if it was my valves going then i'd know it by the constant sound....

Back