1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 gsr motor question

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by slammedcivic, Jul 4, 2004.

1. slammedcivic

slammedcivic Member

I put a 99 gsr motor into my civic but I have noticed it runs really hot. The temp gauge says it ok but when I pop the hood after drivng I notice it is exceptionally hot. I can even feel the heat from below the shifter inside the car.. Is it something to be worried about??? The temp gauge says its ok and my radiator wasnt swapped, its the original.. should I put a integra radiator in?? or is the original radiator good enough??? and do these motors usually run as warm as they do?

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

just make sure you have enough coolant and your water pump is working properly.

I can feel the heat from my shifter and parking brake, thats heat from the exhaust, perfectly fine.

3. lowandslow

lowandslow Senior Member

check the thermostat? sometimes they fook up and will stay closed/open

4. ITR EG6

ITR EG6 Member

If all of the above recomendations check out fine and you are still concered I would look into getting a dual core Del Sol rad. Mine keeps mine nice and cool.

5. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

in my four door (R.I.P.), i put a 99 civic dual-core radiator in, replaced my water pump, and it still seemed hot as fuck under the hood...my temp gauge said everything was ok thogh, and i never had trouble with it overheating (and i drove 30 miles to and from work every day).

from what i've seen, i think that they just seem hot as shit under the hood. if you're at the track or what have you, between runs leave your hood up.

6. Qwikcivic

Qwikcivic Senior Member

I did the same swap and kept my civic radiator. It runs fine temp gauge is just under half way mark. The heat from the bottom of the shifter is normal.

7. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

and before someone says it...yes, my 'temp gauge' was actually my rewired gas gauge. pluh.

8. driverunknown

driverunknown Senior Member

9. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Check under your shift boot to make sure that when you swapped, you put back the two rubber covers over the hole for your shifter, that could be why it feels o hot on the inside. As far as your motor being hot, well it is containing several thousands of small explosions a minute, so that can tend to make things warm.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted