1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A B16 into a 2002 LX?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EP / DC5' started by importman1983, Jan 1, 2003.

1. importman1983

importman1983 Junior Member

Is there a way that i could swap a b16 into a 2002 Honda civic LX. Is there motor mounts for it. I think that swaping a B16 would be less expensive than a K20 but i do not know if a B series is even possible. If anyone knows please reply.

Thanks,
    Importman

Please feel free to E-mail me @
    importman1983@aol.com

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Aren't they pretty much the same power output?It would cost more but the K20A2 from the rsx would be a lot easier and a actual upgrade.

3. chet

chet Senior Member

you have a d17 in your car right now, correct?

now i realize not much information is known about the 7th gen's but i'm nearly positive a b-series motor will bolt in with b-series mounts. its doubtful honda changed the entire front-end geometry of their cars simply because the shell has a new look.

i could be wrong though...i really don't have much experience with 7th gens.

and an rsx motor can work, but its a lot of work, and very expensive and changes the entire geometry of the car, as its mounted backwords compared to conventional b/d series motors.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

:readfaq:

The B series is easier to drop in than the K... but it probably won't be very kosher, especially since there was no B block made in 2002.

:D

People have put B16s into 7G non-Si Civics already- it's not nearly as bad as putting a K20 in.

5. preluderjs

preluderjs Senior Member

But then there is the whole legality issue of an older engine in a newer car...
    depends on what you want to do w/ the car and where you are.

6. guyverias

guyverias New Member

same here. i wanna go with the b's. i dont know what my car is called in the us, but it has the ep3 front, but four doors. with a d17a2 engine. i have researched and finally, found this thread where calesta said that "it is easier to drop a b's than k's in 7g civic" that really relieves me coz other forums says im crazy. i live in indonesia, legality is not an issue here. so calesta, do i have to make custom mounting to fit the b in my car?

7. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

what state you live in?? in CA that is a big no no

nevermind.. reading owns me

8. phunky.buddha

Wow. 3.5 years later.

Yes, you would have to make custom mounts to put a B into a 7G Civic. I also made all those posts over 3 years ago when the 7G Civic was first being swapped. It's much easier to put a K into a Civic now- it's actually one of the most sought after swaps for a Civic these days. Most companies make conversion kits to mount the K. HASport's is excellent, and Innovative also makes a decent kit.

The reason why I said the B would be easier back then is because the B and D spin the same direction, and the engine bay configuration would be relatively the same layout as before. That's not the case anymore. You're probably better off buying a mount kit and putting the K drivetrain into your Civic.

9. guyverias

guyverias New Member

hahaha yes...i didnt notice the time it was posted though..sorry.
    ok i know hasport does make mounts for the k's but it is too expensive for me. i wanna know, my car (eu3 / 4 door ep) uses a cable tranny. the gear stick position is on the dashboard (not the chassis) can i use any b-series cable tranny?
    i have a b16a engine right now, and planning to use the b20 cable tranny. i want to keep the gear stick on the dash. is this possible?

10. phunky.buddha

You'd have to find some way to make a custom shift linkage and mount I'm sure- I don't know how the dash is laid out on the dash shifters. The B series cable transmissions refer to how the clutch is activated, not the gears- the linkage is solid.

11. Cad

Cad New Member

hey bud

hey man my name is cad and we have the same car my brother just got me started on tuners and i still know very litlle about it just picking up the basics i think he has a b16 or a b18 in his acura 92' but im not quite sure msg me back and maybe you could teach me some things about tuners

12. ef8

ef8 Junior Member

The only cable B20 tranny that i know of is from the old B20 preludes which will not work.Those B20's are nothing like the "normal" B-series.That tranny will not bolt up to a b16,b18,b20(crv).

13. guyverias

guyverias New Member

oh, i thought all b tranny will fit into each other. looks like im giving up this project. allright next question. if im goin to swap a K into my car, i have to buy that hasport engine mount kit right? what about the air-con? i heard, if u put a K into a crx, you will need to relocate the a/c. will i have the same problem with the a/c or is it just purely bolt on, plug and play?
    if there are minor modifications, what are they? right now, im planning to get a K instead of B. so im gonna need all the informations other than just the engine mounts...

thank you all...

14. ef8

ef8 Junior Member

Putting a K in a 2002 Civic is not going to be anything like in a crx.There is alot more room in the 2002 as compared to a crx so i wouldnt go by that info.

15. Cad

Cad New Member

haha i lied its a b17 but im almost sure i wont fit without a ton of work

anywyas id go for a k20a but they cost so damn much

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted