a d16 and a d17 frank????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1amI

I looked and couldnt find anything but Im sure its somewhere. Can a d17 block fit under a d16z vtec head. Or better yet can I frank it toghter into a 95 civic. I know I know easyer going to a ls/h22 swap. But I want to keep it sohc and vtec. I dont know if there a dif. or not any help????? :(

You probably could, but I've never heard of it being done. Don't try to just swap the D17 crank into the D16 block though... the deck height might be different, and the D17 crank might smash the pistons into the valves, even if you use the D17 rods.

i'm not sure, but i myself have contemplated a d17 transmission swap onto earlier d-series motors. the d17 (2001+ civic EX) trannies are geared for accord-sized wheel+tire combos so putting it on an older civic would be like putting a type-r tranny onto an LS motor.

Not necessarily. Check your actual ratios first and don't assume something like that just because the tire sizes are different. You have to remember that the D17 engines have a better torque band than the old D16s too, so the transmissions might not be geared that much different.

OK...I've decided to do the "mini-me" on my 92 Civic D1.5. How do I identify the replacement head as being a D16Z6? Is there a way to tell just by looking at the head, or do you need to know(see) from what engine it came? On what cars/years was the D16Z6 used? For instance: I find a used head, and only the head, on eBay, a junkyard, etc. How can I verify its from a D16Z6? Thanks

D16Z6 head:

came on 92-95 Civic EX coupe/sedan and Si hatch
has round combustion chambers

D16Y8 head:

came on 96-98 Civic EX coupe/sedan
has square combustion chambers

Both heads should have VTEC solenoids attached to them. If not, pop the valve cover and look for a cam with 20 lobes on it. You can also look for a P28 (Z6) or a P2P (Y8) stamp somewhere on the head. I'm not sure if the heads are stamped with the engine code, and if they are where they're stamped... but it's always worth a look.

ok one more for ya. If I was to use the d16 block with the d17 crank then used d15 rods with the d16 piston -I think they had the most compr.... but anyways then use the d16 head for a stroked vetc d16 would it work??? If that work could I use the d15 block with the d17 to get an even bigger stroke???? I need helppppp!!!!!!!!!

Back