A disapointed 14.5@ 100 mph

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teambypass

I have IB Probe 12:3:1 pistons, IB ultralite rods with new bearings, All skunk2 internal, skunk2 cam gears, and other mods ( if interest read my signature). But my comperssion are unsually low for the mods that I have. there are 180 for all four. I dont know what could had cause this but LAST NIGHT, I TOOK IT TO A LOCAL RACE TRACK AND DID A 100 MPH AT 14.5 A LITTLE FASTER THAN MY STOCK TIME. THIS REALLY disapointed me since I have spend over $3200 for parts and labor. If the compressions are higher, then I probably hit mid 13s or somewhere around there. I will do a leak down test and find another reputable shop to check why the compression was so low with high compression pistons(this is the only way to find out if they prior shop actually install all the parts that I bought). I dont know if this is the problem because of the EASY BREAK-IN (DRIVING FOR 600 MILES AND GUNS IT). I kinda skiptical to use other methods since everything such as rod bearings, rings, valves and other stuffs are so new and if I use other method of hard break in, i might overload them and crack them. The possible things that could cause low compression is that the crank bearing might be broken or I might have a cracked cylinder wall since everythings are good and no sign of any problem. Other thing that I will do is complete the process of getting hondata and tune it and see go from there. thanks for the helps guys.

damn :puke: 180... i agree there is most def. something wrong...strip the motor down completly and search from there

Was that your first time at the track? what were your 60 foot times? What method were you using for launching?

ya dude, i ran a mid 14 in a semi gutted 89 std hatch with a only a ZC swap, i, h, e,
and ZC tranny and ecu...

something is DEF. wrong with ur car.....

on a side note, i miss my zc.... :(

yeah i wanna see r/t and 60 ft times, because your trap speed isn't too bad, considering NickQ ran a 13.6 @ 99 mph :shrug2:

Not only the ECU, but driving skill can take you a LONG way as far as cutting times down. Not to mention altitude, temp, traction, etc...

Have you dyno'ed it, or tuned it at all? If you slap a motor together and go out and run it, you shouldn't really be dissapointed, just eager to get it tuned.

Waiting to afford my wideband is killing me.

You should be in the 13's, definitely, with a trap speed of 100 mph. You should really just try to work on your driving. I don't think anything is wrong with your build if you are crossing the line at 100mph. Work on launching well and shifting smoothly.

Hmmm....that's a lot of variety of suggestions and I am happy with that. At least some of you guys try to cheer me up that it might be because of my driving technique or the car is untune. I dont really remember right of the back of the 60 ft time but I will post that when I get home. I think I have some pretty good reaction time and 60 ft time. Lets put the driving skill aside, what worry me is the low compressions. I will pursue on getting hondata and tune it, but I doubted that this will increase compresion. All the mods are installed base on stock specification such as the skunk2 camshafts and skunk2 cam gears. They havent been adjust in anyway. As far as the rings and rods, I dont know the lenght but the rings came with 12:3:1 IB probe pistons and the rods are IB ultralite rods. I launched at 3.5k and 4k. The car get better griped with 4000rpm. I shift at 9000RPM. thanks

HERE ARE MY R/T TIME AND 60FT TIMES....

Track info: Dont know.....its Rock Falls Raceway in WI.
Perfect reaction time is .000

BIKE VS ME

R/T .118 .083

60 1.912 2.178

1/8 6.989 8.527

1/4 10.535 14.5

KEEP ME POSTED FOR ANY SUGGESTION AND WHAT TO DO TO INCREASE THE COMPRESSION OF MY CAR. THANKS

it looks to me as though you are losing power up in your higher gears or up top somewhere because an 8.5 for an 1/8th is a pretty damn good time. what are you running for a tranny? also i dontthink your car is the issue although the compression you listed does sound a lil low, if it were me i would get it tuned and do some practicing driving then go from there.

I think you need to take it to a dyno to see what is happening in the high end. What ecu are you running? You might want to look into getting a VAFC, to do some simple tuning on that motor. When is VTEC engaging? With that set up that you have listed it sounds like you need to get tuned. Best of luck.

Your compression at 180 is pretty low. Those are single cam compression. A JDM motor should have 220 (if rememberd correctly). I just tested my LS/V (w/ PR3 pistons) last night and I got 260. Make sure you got the right parts in your motor.

WHAT IS YOUR METHOD OF CHECKING COMPRESSION???? this passed weekend, I went home (2 hrs drive from my school). I took the car to the shop that I got the repair done. this is how they did the compression check.....

The guy took all the injectors off (instead of taking one at a time to do the compression check and then install it back and move on to the next one). He then unclicked all the injectors' clicks (I ask why....he said that so no fuel will come out) and then he unpluge the harness(same why as I did) and then he have me start the car and ask me to step on the gas pedal(THIS IS WHAT I DIDNT DO ) so that the throtlle is wide open and the compression come out to be 240 for all four....is this the right method of doing it???? the only different about this method from what I did is that he took all the injectors off (to save time) and unclicked the injector clicks plus step on the gas to have a wide open throttle.. I think i am an idiot for doing it wrong the first place.....thanks for all the inputs

hmm......your trap has you running mid 13's for sure, your 60ft could use some improvement - I would suggest smaller, lighter, wider rims, with stickier tires or some MT's.

compression, I have always done it with all plugs out, gas pedal down, clutch in, and start the car, my latest b16 showed 210 all across.

good luck

Which skunk2 cams are you using? The stage2's are one of the highest durations around; maybe at the lower rpms, such as in a compression test, there may be a bit more time for the air to escape out of the valve than stock. Do a leakdown, and that will tell you if you have compression loss for sure. Compression tests have been known to be inaccurate in determining if you have a compression leak, they are only good for comparing the difference b/n cylinders

Back