a few question's on checking my timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i bought a timing light. and i remember last year when a watch'd a guy use a timing light on my crx. and that he jumped the jumper!! do i have to do that? and why?

also my dizzy is right in the middle spot(in between going retarded and advance). and i hook'd up my timing light. and where the 3 marks in a group are on my crank pulley(the middle mark is red!). the mark on the timing belt cover that you use. is not within those 3 markings!! the mark show's it's above the 3 marks(as in between the 3 marks and the 1 mark that is away from the group!)

and in order for me to get the mark on the red middle mark on the 3 marks. i have to advance my dizzy(move towards the radiator) almost all the way over!!
thats not right, right!?!

if it is not right. how can i fix that?

i hope i explain'd that good :D !!

thanks

yes you need to jump the connector. this will prevent the ecu from making timing changes when you are trying to manually make changes. jump the connector before you even put the key in the ignition. when you start the car, your check engine light should come on. if it does not, then somehow, your connector is not hooked to the right pin on the ecu or it is not being grounded. also check the bulb in the back on the guage cluster too (had that happen to me).

if somehow your connector is not hooked up properly. then you could do what i did. all i did was hook a switch up to the proper pin on the ecu, and then grounded the other end on the under dash fuse box. the proper pin for the OBD1 P72 Ecu is D4.

heres a pic of what my switch looks like :
gallery_1242_33_1092204798.jpg

and the good thing about this switch is that i dont have to worry about finding the damn connector to check for codes. just flip the switch and bam im done. same thing goes for any other reason you would need to short the connector (like setting timing :))

the reason you might have had to advance so far could be because the ecu was trying to correct it. so hook up your service connector thing and re do the timing.

also, make sure that you have the timing advance on the gun set to 0 (if your gun has a timing advance) cause that could give you incorrect readings as well.

that should pretty much take care of you. try all that out and let me know how it turned out.

btw: are you KAOS from the resource? just crossreferencing the sigs it seems as if you are the same person :) anyway good luck.

yeah i'm KAOS from the resource and 1SIKCRX from H-T!!
i have a switch hook'd up on my ecu with my obd0-to-obd1 conv. harness. so i can read the codes. so that is the same as jumping the jumper then huh?

as long as you have one terminal of the switch attached to D4 on the ecu and the other terminal attached to a ground then yes.

Back