1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a new milestone

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by CRX-YEM, Mar 2, 2008.

1. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

I believe I have finally and successfully built my first custom linux kernel. linux-2.6.24.3 to be exact. now to see if there is any fruit to bare from my labor

2. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Very nice man. Keep us posted, I wanna know what comes out from it.

3. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

I am sure you will have missed several things in your build.... I did on my first one too :) Shit, I'm really surprised the box booted :lol:

Did you remember to compile SCSI emulation? That's one that is often overlooked.

4. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

Well to help me out I imported the old .config file from the previous kernel 2.6.14-xx and modified it from there. I honestly don't recall if SCSI emulation was compiled or not. So far seems to be working. I only removed things I was certain I didn't need on a desktop like dell laptop support, etc.... no need to have those included or as modules

5. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

what advantage does removing unneeded things from the kernel have on system performance? or any other advantage?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted