a really cool (?) idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SiR_crx

so as the crx project gets underway... i had this idea today and it requires input... so instead of mounting the intercooler in front of the radiator like every other car you see out there, what if i get a bad ass hood with a scoop (wrx style or something near that for the effect) and mount the intercooler on top of the motor/ under the hood, so the functional scoop would feed air through the fins and cool the air... i realize that this probably isn't the first time that its been attempted nor will it be the last, but give me some feed back, is this retarded or is it as great of an idea as i think it is...

Yea if your trying to hide it, look into an Air to Water intercooler. You can mount them anywhere.

but wouldn't you think that all that air getting stuffed in through the hood scoop would cool the IC and also help to keep the motor running cooler, not to mention help to keep nice cooler air under the hood for the intake side of it...

no

reading your sig:
spending all your credit card money on a car is the dumbest thing a person can do

1. youll never get the money back
2. youll be paying the interest for ever
3. youll still heat soak the IC

picture the intercooler in a 150 degree engine bay sure air will go thougit but its sitting in very high temps.you will also be very limited to the size of intercooler you can use. if you want to get hot air out of your bay just add spacers to the hinges or just remove the weather stripping right between the hood and windshield.

true to everything they have said so far.....But at the same time.....Im trying to figure how you would plan on getting clearnence for the intercooler up there and the piping disaster that that would take!!!! AHHHHH! just thinkin about that.....if u dont like it out front, then run one like a DSM fender mount!

Back