A rod knock

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spydy43

Can anyone tell me what are other symptoms of a rod knock other than the noise?
I am having some major problems with my car. I've been told that it is a rod knock but no one has pulled the engine apart yet, so its all speculation. I have a d16y8 in there right now. If it is a rod knock would anyone recommend having the engine machined and rebult for high performance because I already have a lot of money invested in it, intake, ignition system, pulleys, full exhaust and more? Or would you recommend swapping the motor and going up to a b16, b18 , or H22? i am more concerned with what is going to be better for my money if it would be cheaper to rebuild and throw a turbo on the d16 or get a better engine and go from there. Any info will help.

you most likely spun a bering if you step on the gas it dosent pull hard but it gose and if you are looking to rebuild the you might need to resleve the motor and a new crank and mabe new valves depending on how bad you spun the bering and how much you drive the car like that.

Originally posted by JDMG2i@May 12 2004, 10:58 AM
you most likely spun a bering if you step on the gas it dosent pull hard but it gose and if you are looking to rebuild the you might need to resleve the motor and a new crank and mabe new valves depending on how bad you spun the bering and how much you drive the car like that.

New valves and sleeves for a spun bearing? WTF are you talking about?

In all honesty, I would pull the motor and throw in a dirty cheap B16. Then tear it apart and see whats up with it, maybe fix it and sell it or keep it for a spare motor.

Originally posted by nfn15037@May 16 2004, 12:44 PM
In all honesty, I would pull the motor and throw in a dirty cheap B16. Then tear it apart and see whats up with it, maybe fix it and sell it or keep it for a spare motor.

I agree. Drive it easy, swap the engine, sell the head, drink a beer.

with a rod knock, theres usually cylinder wall damage, crank damage, and journal damage (where the crank spins), if it gets real outta hand, line boring aint cheap. The longer you drive it, the longer the list gets of bad parts, and eventually the engine will let go.

Back