A20A3 Engine Performance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

digger

I have a sandrail powered by a A20A3 eng. with a 5 speed gear box out of a 1987 Accord. I could sure use some help to boost HP in this engine. PLEASE HELP !!!!

Thanx DIGGER

Yep thougnt of nitrous, but looking more in the line of a header, or cam . Sorry no pics at this time.

:eek: That motor cannot breathe. Intake ,headers, etc will not gain much. Just what those two pieces will cost is most of the way toward a better engine. To get that extra 40 horse power out of that motor is going to require internals and lots of custom parts. I know a guy who races that setup (class specific), and even after being a purpose built racecar with tons of internal work that will not even idle under 3 grand, he is just now near those numbers. A good header and intake will run you about 400.00. Last time I checked, for around 900.00 I could still get JDM B16 swaps with cable actuated trannies from K. Wantanabe. That's 160 HP, low miles and an ass load of potential low dollar upgrades to suit your driving style/needs. You'll spend that much trying to get another 20 Hp out of the motor your speaking of.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Oct 5 2003, 06:52 PM
what is a sandrail?

this is what a sandrail is:

air_time.jpg

I hate to change out the A20, it took me many hours of hard work to fit this engine in this sandrail. I guess I should of did my homework before buying this engine. How much HP gain would I get if I ported and polished the head, and shaving it about 15 thou. I had good luck porting polishing VW heads. But I don't have too much experience with these honda engines.

Back