A6 Dist On Z6 Head. .How To?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so I searched. I can't find any pics or write-ups about how to hack up the a6 dist to the z6 head. I dremeled the mount where the dist bolts to, but see that most people use washers. What for? What do I need to do ? I believe thise is retarding my timing so much it won't start. . help!

THANKS!

Dr.

I'm about to start this swap in my crx and remember seeing pics of the distributor mod. Been searching myself and can't find those pics now. From what i remember you only use 2 bolts to mount it and you only do cutting on the distributor frame itself. Than you use 2 large washers under the factor bolt/washers to hold it in place. The biggest problem is which 2 slots in the dist housing are cut open and on which side of the slots? If I can find the info dr I'll let ya know... :unsure:

The propper timing adjustment is too far counter-clockwise. Use the front and top mounts, cut a section the width of the screw. The top screw, if you are looking from the cap side of the dist., should be notched to the right of the hole. On the bottom front mount, it should be cut to the left of the hole. You should be able to see the screw by looking down from above. You will get a better idea if you put the distributor on and twist it counter-clockwise to find out just how much to cut.

I wasn't able to follow that one bit. . .

Any chance you can explain that to me some more?

What should be notched to the right of the hole? I held the dist with my hand on in ever position and it wouldn't start. . . so how will modifying the mounts help?

A pic would help me out immensly

Dr.

You have to notch the brackets on the distributor. There are three. The flat side if the cap has to be facing up. The top bracket and the front bracket are the only ones you can use. If it wont start after this, you got me.
wNTA0ODEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

I lined it up just like that today and held it with my hand. . but it wouldn't start at all. Sounds sooooo close.

I'm about to quit life here. Shops will charge me 200-500 to fix it, i'm pissed.
I wanna pick up another Dist off ebay, but mine was working before, I doubt it just died. .

Any other ideas?

Dr.

Yes, i'm sure it's a Si dist. . it worked on my 90 Si before the swap.

No, i'm using a stock ecu right now. The VTEC isn't even hooked up, but that shouldn't stop the car from working. I need to find a VTEC plugin.

Dr.

Is it an si ecu? Im not trying to make you feel stupid, just trying to eliminate the obviouse.

Alright, so I did this ECU Error 15http://www.we-todd-did-racing....3D%3D

Checked the black/yellow wire for signal, and got just under 12 volts, so thats good.

the second half Second Half Of Ecu error 15http://www.we-todd-did-racing....3D%3D
says to use the test harness, which I don't have, so I can't do this . .

So how the heck am I to figure out what is causing my ECU error 15 ?

Any help at all?

And yes, it's the stock Si Ecu. I don't wanna pay out the ass for a pm6 ecu, obd1 conversion and z6 dist, thats voer $300, that'd double the cost of my swap.

I'm clueless, it's turning over but juust won't budge. Is it possible to have the timing belt tensioner too tight? I must be missing something obvious.

Dr.

The pm6 is the stock 88-91 si/ex ecu. What does your ecu have printed on it? You might have the wrong one.

I have the PM6, took it off today and thats what it said. .

Any ideas on the ignition ECU code or cluse as to why it won't start?

Dr.

Bump but also Drnova how is the swap coming? Mine is still a work in progress... broke my electric impact wrench on the stupid crankshaft pully bolt. Ordered an air setup and hope to have by next week. Yeah I know been a long time but I've little time to work on my project. Hope you figured out what was wrong with your deal and hopefully will let me know if I come across the same prob when i get my stuff up to crank time.

Swap is almost done.

Turned out to be the dist. . which is weird because it worked before.

So she starts, took her around the block a couple times and she seems fine.

Only problem now is when I'm coming to a stop she'll randomly idle too low and stall. I think this must be due to a small vacuum leak, but I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hook up the VTEC, so we'll see how that goes. But she's up and running and so far so good!

Dr.

Back