a6/y8 mini-me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveholiday

Do work
so here shortly I'll be dropping my y8 head onto my rex, currently has the d16a6. I was wondering though, do I have any other stuff I need to change, such as dizzy or anything or should my stock one work?

Yea the a6 distributor bolts right up to the y8 head

Im doing this swap also here pretty soon. btw did you get a y8 head stud for the bolt nearest the vtec solenoid.

Also you'll need an adjustable cam gear, you may or may not know that. new headgasket for the y8 head. timing belt off a d15b7 (1992-1995 honda civic DX/LX)

I got a full set of head studs for the y8, I did not know about the cam gear or timing belt, I have the new y8 head gasket though. I'm glad I didn't go buy a y8 dizzy, I was starting to think I'd need one, till now. why might I ask will the timing belt and stock cam gear work though?

Because if i recall the y8 head sits slightly higher then the a6 head when mounted on the block. So for one the stock belt will not work its too short. also you need an adjustable cam gear because you need to advance cam timing 4.5 degrees to compensate for the slightly higher head. if you dont get an adjustable cam gear you wont be able to advance the timing enough and it will run like butt

I don't like butt running engines :( whenever you get yours runnin, lemme know how it is. the a6 with the y8 is supposed to have a pretty nice compression too

yea thats what i hear lol. i'm waiting on the honda dealership to call and let me know when my parts come in. i had to order the one y8 head bolt and a set of valve cover bolts and grommets. apparently 1 or more of these is on backorder so i dont know when i will get this stuff in :( i think i may give em a call monday and see whats up. plus i wanted to get the head swap done before i went back to class on the 20th but at this rate i dunno if its gonna happen, we'll see. and i'll be sure to let ya know how it runs.

awesome. yeah, we have this nice place out here called pic-a-part and its like a car graveyard that's all organized by make and model and that happens to be where I got my valve cover bolts and gromets, fresh off a civic they just got so that was cake :)

awesome. yeah, we have this nice place out here called pic-a-part and its like a car graveyard that's all organized by make and model and that happens to be where I got my valve cover bolts and gromets, fresh off a civic they just got so that was cake :)

Yea theres a place out here called pick'n'pull thats set up just like the place you describe. its just like 30-35 mins away and its not worth the gas to drive out there for these few things i needed so i just ordered em through honda. which of course now its taking effin forever for the $hit to get here.

yeah, picapart is only like 10 or 15, and well worth the drive. I love that place lol

Go with mini me it will easily keep up with stock b16 and if you Si tranny expect a faster take off from line cuz mini me is 117 ft lbs of torque and b16 have 111 ft lbs. GOOD Luck

never planned on getting rid of them :) I don't know how well they do overall, but I know that my tranny is about the same as my buddys gs teg in 3rd, they're neck and neck, but his 4th has me so yeah.

Back