about to buy a new car....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

I am about to buy an evo 8 and was wondering if anyone could post the pros and cons of owning this car. I have somewhat of an idea of what i'm going to modify first but would like some advice and/or opinions on my car choice. My spending limit is 25k. It's been hard as hell to choose a car that's the best "bang for the buck". thnx for the comments

Quoted post[/post]]
I am about to buy an evo 8 and was wondering if anyone could post the pros and cons of owning this car. I have somewhat of an idea of what i'm going to modify first but would like some advice and/or opinions on my car choice. My spending limit is 25k. It's been hard as hell to choose a car that's the best "bang for the buck". thnx for the comments

I don't know if I'd buy the Evo 8 over the STi for that money...the EVO IX or X...yes, but the VIII no.

Can I ask what you're looking for out of this car? If its to mod, then its probably a less reliable but finnacially easier way to go in a straight line faster.

And honestly, although there aren't many Evos around here, I've already heard first hand the horrors of the Evo. A coworker, who happens to own a 2006 STi, was helping out another fellow car lover thats a huge mitsu fan. The kid is in a 2nd generation Eclipse GST right now and hates the car, all he wants in life is the Evo. Well he was going to pick a used one up, and my friend told me that when they went to look at the car and talk to the dealership the car actually had to be flatbedded in. Apparently the car had already blown a turbo and was having serious engine problems. All of which was covered under warranty and fixed, but I don't know if I would want to chance it again.

The Evo has the seats, interior, fmic, evo 16g turbo, and easy modding capabilities on its side.
The STi has the better daily driving, reliability, DCCD control, and 2.5L block on its side, plus a super fast spooling vf series twin scroll turbo.

I would really look deeply at what you want before you purchase.

Personally I want an Evo X but thats out of my finnacial range - but even though I want it, I still would feel as if I'm walking on egg shells because of the mitsu history behind it. This coming from a WRX owner and someone who heavily researched another car with the 4g63e motor - the eclipse.

If you're going to bite the bullet and buy the Evo, make damn sure to have a second party thats very capable and specializes with the cars before purchasing. Have them do a compression test, leak down test, and oil analysis. Check to make sure the car isn't burning oil. They have a history of burning oil for the rest of their lives if the car isn't broken in properly.

pros:
- quick out of the box
- easy to modify
- drives nice
- dope seats

cons:
- crappy resale that;s only dropping faster due to the 9 being out, while a pro now, will be a con later down the road...
- its still a dsm....
- warranty nazi's if you find one with an extended or transferrable warranty
- boy racer car stereo type... there's probably a reason they are trading it in after 2 or 3 years....

i havent driven the IX the GSR or the lowest version of the 8 (ES i think), but when you compare the VIII MR to the 05 STi its an easy choice...the Evo is so much more fun to drive...it feels like your God sitting in a car that cannot spin out and can take any corner at any speed. The STi is a lil more scary when you take it to the edge (itll still do what you want with a lil under steer) but when you drive the evo it feels like the car WILL NOT understeer (of course it will, but you REALLY have to be on the gas).

The 06 STi makes you feel the same way as the Evo 8 MR. The cars are really so close that its hard to say which i like more. They both put smiles on my face for the 10-15 minutes i was able to drive them.

you have the base, and MR. the GSR isn't in the states IIRC.

if you dont break in the 4g63t in these they do burn oil.

the tranny will take a good amount of abuse.

being a mitsu owner (of three different generations of mirages now) i wouldnt buy an evo - because the last real evo was the TM 6.5 .

It's a delicate flower of a car, and no daily-driving car should be. The AWD system is nice and not clunky (The axles and diffs are well machined) but the size of the components is frightenly thin for what most EVO owners do to the car.

The WRX is heavier-duty, and it shows. It's not a flickable car like the EVO, it's far more planted.

After my ownership experience - I wouldn't go with another WRX, but after test driving the EVO I wouldn't go for that either. Which is why I settled on a Brat :)

Quoted post[/post]]
The STi is a lil more scary when you take it to the edge (itll still do what you want with a lil under steer) but when you drive the evo it feels like the car WILL NOT understeer (of course it will, but you REALLY have to be on the gas).

you really need to learn how to drive....

thnx for everyone's replies.

My goals: This will be my DD.It will mostly be a street car but i will go to the drag streep once or twice this year.I also want to get into as much road coursing as possible.

I am not really interested in the scooby.i know it's a nice car but too many people around me have them. I've owned a Mitsu Galant vr4 before so i'm somewhat familiar with the "DSM" problems (blown head gasket/grinding tranny/BRAKES!). The main things i'm worried about with the Evo are 1) Insurance costs 2) transfer case 3)gas mileage. The other car i was seriously considering was a 2001 Audi S4. thank you guys again for all the help and feedback.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
STi > Evo Can you say crankwalk

this more or less ended with the nextgen 4g63t starting with the evo4.

It ended with the 6bolt, as opposed to the shit 7 bolt.

Transfer cases are a big issue, I forgot to mention this. The transfer case had gone on the car that my friend looked at, but it was covered under warranty. Still not good to see a car that had ~10,000miles being flatbedded in and completely overhauled.

Issue is high and gas costs are high in both the STi and the Evo, add the S4 to that list as well since it takes premium and has those sequential turbos.

The S4 would hands down be the best daily driver, chip it and you have a highway robber. Break the car however and bend over. Be prepared for a $1200-$1500 timing belt and $120+ just to look at the car when it goes into the dealership, general maintenance on my friends special edition Audi TT is ~$500 whenever he brings it to the dealership and he said they wanted $120 just to clear one of his codes because he was getting a bad cat reading. Top that off with their plan of attack for fixing the code was basically a $3000 fix. He held off and found out that it wasn't a problem with the cat.

Audi/Volkswagen is notorious for eletrical gremlins. They tend to have shitty coilpacks.

The only useful thing I have to add is that the guys driving Evo's in my AutoX club here in Minnesota DECIMATE the Sti's. Granted one of them is a god at the wheel, but it is not uncomon to see the stock Evo's posting much faster times than even the SM2 cars. They look like they handle really well, and if you want them to, they can oversteer a bit. The guy I mentioned before uses that to his advantage all the time...the ass of his evo is always out just a little.

..oops, didn't realize this thread was so old, sorry for bumping.

Back