ABS Brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

speedborn

I'm upgrading my 96 Civic DX hatchback with a B16A engine, and a rear disc brake upgrade from an Integra.
I've just recieved the axles for the swap, they are from an 95 Integra with ABS.

The question is: Is it possible to equip the whole brake system with ABS? If so, how is it done?

Thanks

You would be in for alot of wiring and parts if you wanted to put ABS in a non-ABS car, definately not worth the touble.
Just as a refrence you would have to change/add at least the following:
Almost all new brake lines ($????)
ABS pump unit/modulator valve ($1000 yes one thousand)
ABS computer (about $50)
Speed sensors for all 4 wheels ($120-150 each), plus reluctors for all 4 wheels for the sensors to read, you already have the front axles, but you would need the rear reluctors as well ($???)
All in all it's not really worth it because of all the wiring involved even if you do source all of the parts and run all the new brake lines to the right places, ABS is tied into the OBD2 system which is why it can be diagnosed with the same connector under the dash, plus it's tied into the vehicles ECU, cruise control, and airbag system. it's really someting that should't be attempted

I didn't think it was a pain to do it. YOur right it's not worth it, for that money I could buy a big brake upgrade or something like that.

Thanks for the info anyways.

Cheers

That is what I would do anyway, I really don't like ABS, granted it has the advantage of being able to controll the car when you "lock up" the brakes, but I think that it takes longer to stop with ABS than it does to stop without ABS (and without locking up the brakes)

Back