ABS question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if you're locking up your wheels trying to stop for a yello/red change over- its not your brakes- they work fine. its your crap tires that simply don't grip.

revolution8K would you mind posting what tires you are using and how much tread is left on them? What tire pressure too please.

i'm going to take a wild guess-

stock si..

michelin VGT or whatever the oem tires were. god those thing suck ass.

rev i live up here in canada but we don't get newer cars in the pick and pulls we have to go to a junker lot for that but gimme a list and i will go to a couple and get you all the prices. just pm me

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 17 2004, 02:16 PM
i'm going to take a wild guess-

stock si..

michelin VGT or whatever the oem tires were.  god those thing suck ass.
[post=433758]Quoted post[/post]​

we've been through this, stock si and they're yokohama yk420s, at the time these tires were pretty close to new with tread, now they're bald and I'm awaiting monday to have my avs es 100s installed.

Ok... even if you could get a good deal on the parts themself... the installation is going to be a bitch. all of the electronics are integraded into the wire harness, so unless you are planing on completely gutting the car and installing a "complete" sir harness, dont even bother. And on another note, on the ice, the abs wont do a damn thing. you are going to feel like you are gliding, and your brakes arent even working. it WONT slow you down any faster in the ice or snow. On yet another note... in the snow or ice... once the computer senses that all 4 wheels have stopped.... the abs turns off. so in laymans terms: if you are sliding and your wheels lock even for a split second, the abs computer thinks the car is stopped, thus completely rendering your abs install project completely useless... you will be stuck pumping your brakes like you do now...

and before you come back with some whitty remark, i will let you know that i am not talking out of my ass, i have experianced this first hand in my gs-r which has abs.

it is simply not cost effective. you are going to spend more on parts and other bullshit then any other upgrade you could do to your car.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 18 2004, 01:29 PM
we've been through this, stock si and they're yokohama yk420s, at the time these tires were pretty close to new with tread, now they're bald and I'm awaiting monday to have my avs es 100s installed.
[post=434152]Quoted post[/post]​

You will really enjoy the new tires. You will forget your desire for ABS quickly. But be safe and don't rely on them too much.... they can't save you from everything.

in addition to b's list, your also going to need to buy new trailing arms to mount the sensors, and same deal with the front hubs. The sensors are EXTREMLY expesive from honda at 150ish a peice. All your lines are going to have to be replaced and reruted to the ABS modulator (over 1000 from honda) and then from there, they have to go to all the corners. Wireing, your going to need the abs harness and the abs computer/module (extremly expensive from honda)

But if you REALLY want to do it, I have a Modulator from a 95 GSR and the matching module/computer that I could sell you.

oh yeah by the way if the brake lines are not bent, coiled, etc EXACTLY right the ABS will not work

Back