AC Alternative

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

hey guys, im thinking about removing the a/c system from my car to free up some hp(and increase my mileage a little). i was thinking about getting a portable a/c system but the ones ive seen run off alternating current and use up about 700Watts. does anybody know of any portable systems built for cars(runs off 12volt supply)? if that doesnt work i figure ill just get one of those car refrigerators and just leave it open in my car, but i imagine itll take awhile to cool the car. what do you guys think?

If you still wan AC just leave the damn system in. I removed mine cuz it didnt work, but if yours works, why go thourgh the trouble of removing it if you still want it. It doesnt add a noticeable amount of HP and is only like 30lbs.

how about you send it to me and that will solve that

im asking if a external ac system can be used. idk if there isnt power gain, i want as much fuel economy right now, so less drag will allow my engine to run more efficiently. i think i will take tab's advice and use a electric motor.

its not worth the trouble. You're not going to gain much of anything by removing the system. If you want it to work, leave it alone. If you want to remove it, just remove it and deal with having no AC

don't even bother taking your system out. a honda already has far superior gas mileage than other cars. and the gain won't be worth it once a Minnesota summer hits.(hot, humid, musty,and when you take a crap it don't even feel normal anymore) plus the gain is nothing to be proud of since it'll maybe be 1-2 hp only if you're lucky.

essentially you're asking if you can create a more efficient A/C system than the one Honda engineers created. The answer is no. If you run a system off the 12 volt circuit, the alternator will switch on more frequently, and that will bog down the engine just as much as the A/C compressor. In other words, the power for air conditioning has to come from somewhere. Just learn to toggle the a/c button on and off during a drive, especially when passing or climbing a hill.

Back