AC problems in 88 Civic LX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
Ok, Katie's AC has been acting up for quite a while now. I think I've narrowed it down to the AC compressor clutch... but hear me out and let me know what you think.

Problem:
Condenser fan fuse keeps popping when the AC is turned on

According to the service manual wiring diagram, the compressor and condenser fan are on the same fuse... the only problem is that the diagnostic flowchart wants all the fuses to be "in working order" to check everything. I don't want to short the fuse slot with a jumper or anything, because something else might get fried.

So I've checked out the:

relays
wiring (no shorts, nothing loose, all show continuity)
condenser fan (replaced)

The fuse pops even with the condenser fan disconnected, so I know it's not the problem. The only other thing running off that same fuse is the compressor, and I think it's good- I've gotten the system to blow cold for 10-15 seconds before the fuse blows. The fuse never blows when the condenser fan is plugged in and the compressor is disconnected. I haven't had a chance to pull the compressor and test the clutch to make see if it's good/bad- I wanted to see what others thought before I opened up the AC system and let all the R12 out.

:ph34r:

What do you think? All I can imagine the problem being now is the compressor clutch.

Back