Accord ECU: Where is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThePrepmaster

hello guys, i've been browsing this website for quite a while now, and have seen the term ECU thrown around all over. I've also come across some conflicting reports on where the ECU actually is on my 91 accord EX and how to get a code scan out of it. everyone seems to agree that its located below the carpeting on the front passenger side, however, some say that i'll have to pull wires and insert a paper clip, then observe the check engine light...others say that there's a viewable "window" on the ECU that will light up when the ignition is turned on. no accounts have provided any visual proof. could someone with knowledge, kindness, and equipment please show me what my ECU looks like and where i can find it/get an error code report?? i've taken my car around to pep boys and autozone, but they all say my car is too old for them to do a code scan, and the local mechanics want 35 bones to do it. from what i've read, its an easy process, but no one seems to be able to accurately describe how to perform it, and provide some pictures to back up what they say...

Are you actually looking for the ECU or are you just waiting for someone to tell you where it is. If you take 5 minutes and have a look for it you will be able to tell us if it does infact have an l.e.d. light or not.

If it does have the light then just observe the number of flashes its emmiting. If it doesn't then you'll want to find the check connector (located somewhere very close to the ECU). It has a green rubber cover over it. Underneath should be a connector with two wires. Short these two wires together and turn the key on. Now count the number of flashes the check engine light emmits. You may have to do this step even if the ECU does have an l.e.d. light.

Now you have your trouble code number!

Back