Acoustic Guitar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kanned

Beast
When it comes to playing the guitar, my love revolves around mellow acoustic strumming and finger picking. Pretty much every weekend my friends and I round up with some other random people and have a fire, drink, etc... I'm the hippie who pulls out my guitar when buzzed and amuses everyone by playing and singing. I'm just wondering if any of you play and/or enjoy the same type of music. If so, suggest some songs similar to my genre please =)... I'm running low on songs I want to learn. I'm not awesome, but I can play well enough to make it through a song(with a few minor "adjustments" at hard parts =P) while singing. Here are a few songs to give you a better idea of my likings.

Sublime - Rivers of Babylon
Kansas - Dust in the wind
Green Day - Good Riddance (I don't really like this song, but it was one of the first I learned, so it stuck.)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge and Scar Tissue
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

Edit: If anyone can find me the correct strumming and/or solo tabs for Sashamon - "Necta(Butterfly song)", I will seriously love you. long time. I wish to play that song like whoa =D.

- Sean

Last edited:
Dust in the wind? Fuckin A...

Seriously though, my friends are in a band (in Cali now) and always played acoustic stuff whether sublime, tenacious d, incubus, and their own songs. If you care they're www.myspace.com/smugrocks .

Try learning Incubus - Mexico. That's a good one. Me, I find the challenge in trying to figure out songs like Tetragrammaton by The Mars Volta. That and Soothsayer by Buckethead. (No, I'm not good - but I try).

i used to do that shit in college all the time....

if i were to do it now, and it was a co-ed crowd, i'd probably rip out some of these:

guns N roses - patience
incubus - drive
that gay matchbox 20 song that i don't know the name of
zakk wylde - between heaven and hell
tantric - breakdown
STP - plush
staind - its been a while
radiohead - streetfire
puddle of mudd - control
pearl jam - yellow ledbetter
life of agony - my mind is dangerous
hinder - lips of an angel
dave mathews - what would you say
daughtry - its not over
crossfade - colors
cold- wasted years
breaking benjamin - diary of jane
anberlin - cadence
alice in chains - got me wrong
30 seconds to mars - from yesterday
10 years - wasteland

never heard of sashamon....

Yeah, dust in the wind. What!? Haha, yeah I know... I'm a sucker for classic. I'll check out that Incubus song tomorrow, thanks.

Sol, you just reminded me how bad I wanted to learn Lips of an Angel, thanks. I had a few light bulbs light up looking at that list =D. I didn't know of Sashamon until I heard it in my bro's truck. Some hippie guy lol. Either way, he has a really catchy song with some guitar I like. Here's a link to it - YouTube - Sashamon "Necta" Butterfly Song

Also, when suggesting, if you have a link to the correct tabs or video lesson, that would be great. It's so hard to find the real stuff instead of all of the entire solo that you play on one fucking string shit you find everywhere =P

wow i got through about 18 seconds of that crap before i closed my browser. lol

"learn" lip of an angel... are you serious? its 3 friggin chords.

as for tabs, i rarely use them...

they are all wrong.

i have a pretty good ear and can pretty much pick up anything after hearing it (within reason of course)

I admit the guy is weird in a homo kind of way, but I enjoy the song for some reason. Yay for opinions... Yeah, I want to "learn" it lol. I'm not skilled enough to play something just from hearing it, so I have to look at the tabs. I understand most song's strumming patterns are very simple, but I don't have time to practice on the weekdays hardly. I have to sit down, read the chords, and practice it for a few minutes. I consider that learning =P Good thing I make more than 8 bucks an hour or I'd be a complete fuck up, huh? =X

Edit: I'll leave up my pissy comments because they've probably been read already, but my bad. This afternoon hasn't been the greatest and my menstrual cycle kicked in I guess.

Last edited:
When I started playing I learned nothing but chord structure and blues riffs....Learn Blues its the basis of all guitar playing. Then learn how to play Led Zepplin..I got on a huge Zepplin kick through college...I can play Stairway to heaven w/ my eyes closed, half/drunk, w/ a cigarette hanging out my mouth...haha

What kind of guitar do you have?

No more internet tab thanks to the IRAA.

You can play pretty much any song on an acoustic guitar. You should totally learn some Tenacious D though. FHG and Tribute are always hits.
The Irish Recording Association Army is going to shut down tabs? :ph34r: Just like they killed pirating, eh?

i don't know jack shit about the skill/talent that goes into these songs but this is a big list of songs that have acoustic potential

100 Greatest Rock Ballads

i personally like dust in the wind also, and its #33 on that list

Last edited:
good old
Don Maclean "American Pie"
you should learn that one, you can always get people singing along with you to that one. it's a good song that gets people in the spirit of reminiscing

Everything by Priesidents of the United States of America.

"Little dune buggay! in the sayand.."

Back